Choosing an offset smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbstern

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 22, 2023
N. Georgia
Sorry in advance for the length of this. I need input on offset smoker selection. I'm wrestling the buy once / cry once thing. I'd love to spend $500. I could probably talk myself into spending $1500.

Haven't been an avid BBQ'r in the past: A decade of casual smoking on a WSM, usually motivated by family gatherings. Recently caught the BBQ bug and want to dig into it as a hobby. I live on rural acreage and have unlimited charcoal and wood resources for fueling a smoker.

Firm parameters: Strictly a covered patio setup. Offset stick burner. I cook a couple of times a year for 15+ people. More likely use is under 12 people, with more regular cooking for the wife and I to have a weekend meal and then leftovers for the week. Climate is hot summers and relatively mild winters (N. Georgia).

When cooking on the WSM, I'm used to checking my temps every 30 minutes to an hour. There are times when I wish I didn't have to. I could do digital monitoring, and I might, but would also love to not have to feed the firebox too frequently during "practical" cooks. During more relaxed cooks, I don't mind being tethered to the smoker.

My current thinking, in terms of new and used candidates:

New. In the big box/COS market, I like the Char Griller Grand Champ XD for features/value and quality control, versus the Old Country Pecos and Wrangler, where it looks very hit or miss in terms of the quality of construction. I'm within driving range of several Academy stores, so I could probably pick the least offensively built Old Country model from stock. These are all in the 225 to 250lb. range, which is a detractor. The heat retention and longevity benefits of more steel are appealing.

Used. The local FB and Craiglist ads offer plenty of better quality candidates. Some are in put-them-right-to-work shape. Others need refurb, which I can do. Specific examples:

Old Country Angus: It looks like it's in rough cosmetic shape from lack of care, but probably solid. I don't know if I would enjoy the hybrid form factor. Asking price is $700.

Pitts and Spitts Upright model, it's a $4000 rig and they are asking $1500. Again, not sure about the upright chamber. I can walk and chew gum at the same time, just not sure how often I would want to cook at both 275 and 175 (or whatever the variance is between the chambers) simultaneously, and I have no idea if I'm giving anything up for that benefit.

Lone Star Grillz 20x42": Construction quality is obvious. Asking price is $1900, which is more than I'd like to spend, but it looks like a high quality setup.

Horizon 16 and 20" models: Several to choose from, in varying condition, from $575 to $1000. Seem better made than Old Country, albeit with some miles on them.

Of course, that used assortment is ever-changing. There ara also a bunch of custom rigs in the under $2K range. Some a crooked. Some look pro quality. No way to judge the cooking performance other than to look at the basic construction and configuration.

Any comments on your own decision making process or what I've posted would be welcome.

I'm biased in my opinion. I own the LSG 20x36 and it has consistently put out excellent products. Their builds are high quality. $1900.00 is a good deal. I paid just over $3k. That was my buy once, cry once. If you go that route you definitely will not be disappointed. They work best with mini splits of wood.

Attachments

• 20210501_054312.jpg
    20210501_054312.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: rbstern
Sorry in advance for the length of this. I need input on offset smoker selection. I'm wrestling the buy once / cry once thing. I'd love to spend $500. I could probably talk myself into spending $1500.

Haven't been an avid BBQ'r in the past: A decade of casual smoking on a WSM, usually motivated by family gatherings. Recently caught the BBQ bug and want to dig into it as a hobby. I live on rural acreage and have unlimited charcoal and wood resources for fueling a smoker.

Firm parameters: Strictly a covered patio setup. Offset stick burner. I cook a couple of times a year for 15+ people. More likely use is under 12 people, with more regular cooking for the wife and I to have a weekend meal and then leftovers for the week. Climate is hot summers and relatively mild winters (N. Georgia).

When cooking on the WSM, I'm used to checking my temps every 30 minutes to an hour. There are times when I wish I didn't have to. I could do digital monitoring, and I might, but would also love to not have to feed the firebox too frequently during "practical" cooks. During more relaxed cooks, I don't mind being tethered to the smoker.

New. In the big box/COS market, I like the Char Griller Grand Champ XD for features/value and quality control, versus the Old Country Pecos and Wrangler, where it looks very hit or miss in terms of the quality of construction. I'm within driving range of several Academy stores, so I could probably pick the least offensively built Old Country model from stock. These are all in the 225 to 250lb. range, which is a detractor. The heat retention and longevity benefits of more steel are appealing.

Used. The local FB and Craiglist ads offer plenty of better quality candidates. Some are in put-them-right-to-work shape. Others need refurb, which I can do. Specific examples:

Old Country Angus: It looks like it's in rough cosmetic shape from lack of care, but probably solid. I don't know if I would enjoy the hybrid form factor. Asking price is $700.

Pitts and Spitts Upright model, it's a $4000 rig and they are asking $1500. Again, not sure about the upright chamber. I can walk and chew gum at the same time, just not sure how often I would want to cook at both 275 and 175 (or whatever the variance is between the chambers) simultaneously, and I have no idea if I'm giving anything up for that benefit.

Lone Star Grillz 20x42": Construction quality is obvious. Asking price is $1900, which is more than I'd like to spend, but it looks like a high quality setup.

Horizon 16 and 20" models: Several to choose from, in varying condition, from $575 to $1000. Seem better made than Old Country, albeit with some miles on them.

Of course, that used assortment is ever-changing. There ara also a bunch of custom rigs in the under $2K range. Some a crooked. Some look pro quality. No way to judge the cooking performance other than to look at the basic construction and configuration.

Any comments on your own decision making process or what I've posted would be welcome.
I have a Old Country Wrangler, mine is from 2014. Out of the box it is an ok Smoker. I have made many mods to it (Charcoal basket, Tuning Plates, Insulation to seal gaps, latches, and removed the manual vent and installed a pipe fitting and gate valve to allow me to use a DigiQ). I am going to now remove the baffle between the firebox and the cooking chamber.

There sub-forum on here dedicated to the wranglers. You may want to check it out. But if you have the time, you can convert the Wrangler into a great smoker. That said, I also use a Pit Barrel Cooker and love it too!.

Good luck with your decision.

- Jason

I Have had the Grand Camp XD going on 6 months. For me it has been a great smoker. I have cooked some incredible meals on it. I have loved the process of dialing it in for my use and am still learning it. For me it was the affordability of it. I am in Hawaii and getting it through Home Depot with free shipping to my local store was what sold me on it. It is a great smoker for me. With that being said if I had access to better built smokers I definitely would have spent more and got a higher end smoker for sure! Shipping is what limits my choices. I was quoted $2000 to ship a $4000 smoker and I just could not deal with that so for $600 I got a good quality COS shipped for free and I am very happy with it!

I ended up choosing the 24 x36 3/8 inch smoker from Bell Fab it was $1200 to my door. I did have it modified and it works so incredible its amazing. If i had another one made I would want it just like it is now. I was not happy with the way that is cooked, and had a friend that does metal fabrication, and for a couple of racks of ribs and a brisket he made the modifications and it is perfect. I had him basically turn it into the same design as the goldees smoker. I had the modifications done in July and wow does it work well. I am sure craig would build you one like it for the same price.

I've had the old country pecos and it is heavy but my issue with it is that the heat in the cook chamber is way different left to right.
I tried two different baffle plate configs but it still wanted to burn the meat closest to the firebox.
I just picked up the Grand Champ and it's a better cooker than the old country and I just started playing around with it.
The latest hot tip is to restrict the exhaust down to 1/4 open (or so) but allow lots of air into the fire box.
This goes against the "longer is better" exhaust stack school of thought but the thinking is that slowing down the smoke allows more time for flavorful particulates to stick to the meat and it also caused more even heating left to right.
The above is my upcoming experiment, first cooking only temp probes, then with dino ribs and a brisket flat.
The concept comes from a well established stick burn builder and pit master.

Reactions: DonP and rbstern
Just another fun fact about the LSG 20x42, it doesn't need tuning plates. Pretty even temps across the cooking chamber. The upper rack does cook at a higher (+10-15°) temp than the lower. Good luck.

Thanks for the great feedback, everyone.

I picked up the P&S mentioned in my original post for $1250. 160 mile roundtrip this morning. Seller has a shop with a forklift, he hoisted it into the bed of my old RAM pickup (8' bed). Strapped it down. Drove home the 80 miles, easy ride. Took the smoker out of the pickup with straps and pallet forks on the front end loader of my tractor.

It's going to need a bit of TLC. Cleaning, for sure. Has a lot of grease baked on, inside and out. Firebox rack is deteriorated to the point of being unusable. I'll make one to replace it. Going to wire brush the cooking racks and re-season them. Not planning on using the propane starter, so I'll make a rack for the base to hold splits.

The stainless firebox has a lot of carbon on it. Need to figure a way to get that off. Suggestions welcome.

Will get started in the AM.

IMG_20231027_163929808.png

Sprayaway Stainless Polish will clean up the outside stainless real nice, just let it soak in the thick stuff, for the inside I would just scrape and wire brush it down then vacuum it out then build a nice hot fire in it and once it’s 350 or so spray the inside down with water……. After that you can season it up after wiping it down with a oil damp rag….

Oh and congrats on the new cooker!

Last edited:
Watch out for stray wire bits sticking to the cook grates, very bad news if any get caught in the meat.
Sand blasting or pressure wash are safer.

Got out at first light to set up for cleaning. Started by removing the grates and scraping the inside of the grill. Took 5-10 pounds of dried grease and carbon out of the upright and main body.

IMG_20231028_080309098.png

IMG_20231028_083840685.png

Power washed the whole thing, inside and out. Used Superclean degreaser to get some of the tougher buildup off the doors and table. Power washed again to remove the cleaner. Blew out the excess water with a blower, lit a bed of coals in the firebox on a makeshift firegrate, then started to add wood chunks. I've had it running at 200 to 300 degrees for the last few hours. Hit the exterior with Canola oil to seal it up a bit.

Wired brushed the grates. Lots of buildup. Shot of one done and another still needing cleaning.

IMG_20231028_113901844.png

After I got the grates clean, I sponged them with Canola oil, and put them all in the main box to season.

Will leave it burning for the rest of the afternoon. Will take some "after" shots when it's cooled down. Might throw some cast iron with chili on it before the end of the day.

Fun day, if cleaning something can be fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLeonard
Oh, and there there's this...the fire grate was a mess.

IMG_20231028_141611668_HDR.png

I cut away the damaged mesh, ground down the weld high spots. I'll get a new piece of expanded metal and fit it up.

IMG_20231028_142930260_HDR.png

Attachments

• IMG_20231028_141611668_HDR.png
    IMG_20231028_141611668_HDR.png
    752.6 KB · Views: 37
The local Tractor Supply had the piece of expanded metal needed for the fire grate repair. Welded it up and I can put it back in service for a cook tomorrow.

In the meantime, my first ever smoked chili came out great. Had a wonderful, sweet, smokey flavor. Very different from any chili I've made in the past. Very enjoyable.

Learned a ton today. I think I'm going to enjoy this smoker.

IMG_20231028_185816883.png

Last edited:
Out of the ones listing I would gravitate to the P&S vertical or the Lone star. Both are very good cookers and good deals!

Just note that having a vertical cooker is way more than for smoking…..I have one on my copper pot and I would not have an offset/reverse flow with out one….

Example of how versatile a vertical is….
https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/the-copper-pot-prime-ny-l-over-oak.310731/

That's a great looking rig and and incredible feast.

Reactions: Danblacksher

I ordered a LSG 20x42 smoker and belive me it's the real deal. It's a great cooker easy to operate, and not a hog of timber either. Besides it cooks great BarBQ too. Go for it you won't be sorry.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky