Decided on the old country Pecos smoker from Academy. Now what!?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin Haynes

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
So I made my decision on my smoker and will do my first ever smoking. I know the rig will need to be seasoned and taken care of so what would you guys suggest doing or using to properly get this thing ready to roll. What kind of oil, how often afterwards,how can I tell it's ready, and any other suggestions on how to keep it protected and clean for its entire life.(will buy matching cover and eventually will be sitting under large awning) but if NOT under awning and exposed to the outdoors, what would you do? Thanks guys.

Keep it covered, keep it seasoned and keep it clean. It’ll serve you well. There are several seasoning options but name of the game it to use an oil with a higher smoke point (peanut, flaxseed, canola) are good choices. Lodge has a cast iron seasoning spray, i just bought a case of 6 on amazon for $55.

How often you need to season will be based on how vigorously you clean it, and also how often you use it. Typically one good seasoning should last a while if you clean after every cook, or shortly thereafter.

Typical protocol is it coat the entire cooking chamber and racks with oil, then heat her up for a good hour or so, then shut your vents most of the way and let it smoke cure until the fire runs out. I’m sure there are other ways but that how I roll. Cleanup will be based on your rig. I steam clean but I also have a grease valve in my Langs which allow for proper drainage of all moisture.

Keep it clean, seasoned and free of rust by covering when not in use. My Lang patio has never been under cover but you can’t tell it because of how I care for her.

By the way your decision to get an old country was a good one. They make a fine stick burner.

Reactions: Kevin Haynes
Only had my OC Pecos for a month and I’m loving mine! Have you cooked in yours yet?
Just seasoned it and have not cooked yet. Temperature was all over the place when I fired it up to season it...its scaring me lol every little adjustment on the door and stack makes a ton of difference it seems like...any suggestions on keeping it steady? Tuning plates?

Just seasoned it and have not cooked yet. Temperature was all over the place when I fired it up to season it...its scaring me lol every little adjustment on the door and stack makes a ton of difference it seems like...any suggestions on keeping it steady? Tuning plates?

I’m working on fire management as well.. as a matter of fact I just posted a question on this topic in the ‘Wood Smoking’ section.. hopefully some experienced folks will chime in there.

As for my experience so far, yes, the airflow is very “lively” based on adjustments you make at the firebox side. I think (and hope) it’s just a matter of learning to build a better coal bed and letting the flames go away before you put the meat on. Then maybe it’s a matter of finding one spot with the intake and leave it there.

One free mod that I’ve done (and suggest) is taking the slotted firebox tray (bottom one) and putting it in the cook chamber butted up against the inlet side baffle all the way to the right. Then use the mesh firebox too grate as the bottom grate to hold your fire. What I achieved with this was only an approximate 20 degree difference from far right side to far left side of the cook chamber. I think that’s really good for a budget smoker and not having tuning plates.

I’m working on fire management as well.. as a matter of fact I just posted a question on this topic in the ‘Wood Smoking’ section.. hopefully some experienced folks will chime in there.

As for my experience so far, yes, the airflow is very “lively” based on adjustments you make at the firebox side. I think (and hope) it’s just a matter of learning to build a better coal bed and letting the flames go away before you put the meat on. Then maybe it’s a matter of finding one spot with the intake and leave it there.

One free mod that I’ve done (and suggest) is taking the slotted firebox tray (bottom one) and putting it in the cook chamber butted up against the inlet side baffle all the way to the right. Then use the mesh firebox too grate as the bottom grate to hold your fire. What I achieved with this was only an approximate 20 degree difference from far right side to far left side of the cook chamber. I think that’s really good for a budget smoker and not having tuning plates.
Well I have the tuning plates in hand. I may as well give them a whirl. Is using the cooking grate on the firebox side for the coal bed, not too high off the bottom of the box? Seems to me like the fire would be right level with the baffle hole. Not sure if that is the goal. I do understand that it allows more airflow/oxygen up under it which is nice. I also kind if wanted to save that grate for possibly using it to cook on

Well I have the tuning plates in hand. I may as well give them a whirl. Is using the cooking grate on the firebox side for the coal bed, not too high off the bottom of the box? Seems to me like the fire would be right level with the baffle hole. Not sure if that is the goal. I do understand that it allows more airflow/oxygen up under it which is nice. I also kind if wanted to save that grate for possibly using it to cook on
I’ve wondered myself whether it was too high in the firebox or not.. buts definitely not level with the baffle. I definitely like it for the good airflow. My plan is to maybe get tuning plates, then take the original fire tray, add more holes to it for airflow, and place it back into the firebox.

Where did you get your tuning plates?

In Irving tx. A shop called WESTERN SHEET METAL. I have 5 quarter in steel plates at 4 inches wide by 14 ³/4 long. $40 even. Familiar with Irving Tx?

In Irving tx. A shop called WESTERN SHEET METAL. I have 5 quarter in steel plates at 4 inches wide by 14 ³/4 long. $40 even. Familiar with Irving Tx?
I’ve heard of that area but being from NC and never having been to Texas I’m not familiar. I may start calling around to some of the metal works shops around here.

I’ve heard of that area but being from NC and never having been to Texas I’m not familiar. I may start calling around to some of the metal works shops around here.
Oh my you need to come to Texas my friend. If you are ever in the dallas/fort worth area holler at me. Or just go to central Texas if you want bbq that will knock your socks off. I was told by my guy at the sheet metal place that 3/16 steel would be a little cheaper and pretty much same results but I went ahead and went 1/4inch.

Reactions: Twangin
Oh my you need to come to Texas my friend. If you are ever in the dallas/fort worth area holler at me. Or just go to central Texas if you want bbq that will knock your socks off. I was told by my guy at the sheet metal place that 3/16 steel would be a little cheaper and pretty much same results but I went ahead and went 1/4inch.
Awesome, will do man! It’s definitely top 2 in my next places to visit. Dying to see how that TX bbq stacks up to the old school Eastern NC bbq scene around here. Seems that it’s absolutely exploded around your parts out west, and that’s awesome!

Reactions: Kevin Haynes
Awesome, will do man! It’s definitely top 2 in my next places to visit. Dying to see how that TX bbq stacks up to the old school Eastern NC bbq scene around here. Seems that it’s absolutely exploded around your parts out west, and that’s awesome!
And I want to see what all the craze is about out your way...farthest bbq I have had your way Is Alabama. (ROLL TIDE!) we have beef ribs the size of your arms down here and they are sent straight from heaven. I frequent Austin Texas a lot and everytime I visit I stop at Franklin's and have been first in line everytime. (Arrive at 330am) maybe if the times add up I will save you a spot.

Austin is exactly where we plan to visit! The beef ribs I see on Instagram from the TX folks look AWESOME! Our claim to fame around here is Sam Jones BBQ/ Skylight Inn BBQ (which is the original joint ran by the same family). I guess you could say whole hog bbq over wood coals is king around here.. probably equivalent to traditional brisket in TX.

Austin is exactly where we plan to visit! The beef ribs I see on Instagram from the TX folks look AWESOME! Our claim to fame around here is Sam Jones BBQ/ Skylight Inn BBQ (which is the original joint ran by the same family). I guess you could say whole hog bbq over wood coals is king around here.. probably equivalent to traditional brisket in TX.
Oh wow! Adding it to my list. Top 5 in Texas to hit are arguably-
5- Blacks bbq (Austin or Lockhart Texas)
4- LaBarbecue (Austin)
3-Cattleack bbq(Dallas)
2-Franklins bbq(Austin)
1- Snows bbq (Lexington)
Would also add "Heim bbq" (fort worth) in between 4 and 5.

Reactions: Twangin
I just got a Old Country Over and Under Smoker for Fathers Day from Academy. Got a great deal on it because it was missing a grate. Now I'm trying to find out where I can buy one from but I'm having a problem locating Old Country. Any suggestions?

I just got a Old Country Over and Under Smoker for Fathers Day from Academy. Got a great deal on it because it was missing a grate. Now I'm trying to find out where I can buy one from but I'm having a problem locating Old Country. Any suggestions?
What grate is missing and where are you located?

The top one that goes over the smoke chamber. I hope it also fits over the firebox as well. I was hoping to grill over the firebox. It only came with one grate. I'm in Wilsonville Alabama.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky