Datil Pepper experience

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Fueling Around

Smoking Guru
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 10, 2018
FL winter, MN summer
Datil Peppers are a distinct variety from the St Augustine Florida area.
The exact lineage is very much up to debate, but they are related to Habanero and share a similar heat index.
I got my seeds from Mayhem Brothers
Here is my journey
seed.png

Wetted seeds for 24 hours per growing instructions.

seedling-1.png
On the patio that gets heat from 60's to 90's while in Florida.
Mailer envelope is another couple of seeds to go longer in the wet paper towels until they sprout.
seedling-2.png

First of the seeds emerging. Got 5 of 6 sprouting.

seedling-3.png

Divided and added the second starts for a total of 7 seedlings.
Under a grow light.

seedling-5.png

Getting ready for the trip from Florida to Minnesota.

seedling-6.png

A week after in Minnesota and under a grow light with stable temps.

They will thrive another 3 week before going in the garden.

Looks like a good start for some heat to add a little flavor to some of your recipes.

Jim

Thanks Jim and the rest for the likes.
This is a experiment with a plant that is a Florida native to try in Minnesota.
I had great success with growing Scotch Bonnet (Caribbean native) last year.
They have responded well to another dose of fertilizer.
seedling-7.png

Interesting. I've heard of them but never bothered to research at all. Maybe next year I'll try growing some. With the exception of tomatos in containers in the back yard, I normally grow 5-6 pepper plants every year... 2-3 jalapeno, 1-2 serrano and always something firebomb hot like a thai pepper, or every other year I'll plant a habanero or ghost. I have limited space and sun so I try to get the most out of it. I pickle almost all of my peppers and love eating them with a variety of foods. Can't wait to see the peppers!

Love the Datil pepper. Have not grown them but have a few rubs that use them. We visit St. Augustine on a regular basis. There is a unique shop called Pepper Palace in the downtown area. All types of hot sauce, BBQ, rubs laid out for tasting. Love that taste, heat.

RG

Reactions: JLeonard
Interesting With the exception of tomatos in containers in the back yard,
I'm gonna try some tomatoes and cucumbers in grow bags this year. I just may have to throw some Jalapeños in the mix also.

There is a unique shop called Pepper Palace in the downtown area. All types of hot sauce, BBQ, rubs laid out for tasting. Love that taste, heat.

RG
We have a Pepper Palace close to us also. So many different rubs, sauces, and etc in there. I could almost drop a paycheck in there.

I am looking to create a hot sauce from the Datil without the sweet that many of them make in the Minorcan recipes.

My son was in Baltimore for training and got me a bottle of hot sauce that uses fish peppers.
That will be my next venture.

I got a very limited number of Datil seeds from my order. If I get viable peppers this fall, I will gladly share.

I am looking to create a hot sauce from the Datil without the sweet that many of them make in the Minorcan recipes.

My son was in Baltimore for training and got me a bottle of hot sauce that uses fish peppers.

I got a very limited number of Datil seeds from my order. If I get viable peppers this fall, I will gladly share.
Fish peppers? Had to look that one up. Very interesting. They might get a spot next to the Datils if I can pull it off next spring.

I was growing them when we lived in FL, The dang tree rats ate all the peppers off my plants.
I keep Peter and Petra Cottontail out of my garden with 2' of chicken wire. I have a line of electric fence just above the chicken wire that stops the rats with furry tails and the cottontails that think climbing is a choice.

Interesting. The information regarding the Datil Peppers is particularly fascinating. I may attempt to cultivate some the next year. I adore discovering new pepper types and their origin stories. I typically raise 5–6 pepper plants yearly in grow bags in the backyard. I make the most of the sunlight and space I do have. Have you thought about using grow bags if you intend to produce these peppers? They might be a great option to grow peppers in a small area, such as a balcony or patio.
I raise a variety of pepper plants every year.
I have a decent garden plot so everything goes in the ground.
I find the history of the solanaceae family interesting. Prior to 1500's it was mostly Central and South America exclusive. with a few species in North America. Once distributed world wide the diversity is amazing.

I will be going to a big pepper gathering in August. My neighbors dad throws a two day shindig and his chili head friends from all over come to it. Got an invite this year as I’ve grown close to the neighbors. Lots of food and sauce and seed sharing. I’ll keep an eye out for Datil seeds. Also want to score some Fatali. If you have any specific you are looking for let me know. To support my sauce making addiction I’ve added a raised bed pepper area this year. I’ll be doing red savine habanero, chocolate habanero, red ghost, Butch T Scorpion, giant orange naga and white ghost this year.

Reactions: Fueling Around
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky