Spoiling Friends: Epic 4-Course Picanha Feast (Mega Long)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Sorry David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ), another beef thread...but it does have gravy so hopefully that makes up for the duplicity :emoji_laughing: Be forewarned everybody, this meal was a two day ordeal putting together and a lot of steps involved. That means a lot of pics and dialog....and I mean a LOT. Grab a cold beverage and a large tub of hot buttered popcorn and settle in for the ride.

I've made an observation: seems as though the only people on the planet that are familiar with the Picanha roast are in this forum. Nobody I've talked to that's not an SMF member has ever heard of it. Same with Jeff and Kandi. They are truly special people and great friends so I just had to change that for them :emoji_wink: They came for dinner Saturday and I decided in advance that it was just gonna be too hot to enjoy the meal outside. Since it was going to be indoors, I pulled out all the stops to make a true dining experience for them, much more than just a meal. I got things rolling about 10:00 Friday morning.

First up was the beef consommé. All the players gathered in the pan.
001.jpg

While that was simmering I put all the stuff together and made the Key Lime pie...and it's real-deal legit. Now into a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes to set the filling.
002.jpg

Earlier in the day I made the dough for the sour cream & onion rolls. Here it is after the 2nd proof.
003.jpg

Beef consommé finished simmering and strained. The dregs after cooking. Kinda nasty looking but the soup is amazing!!
004.jpg

A half pint of heavy cream whipped up to top the pie with.
005.jpg

Rolls portioned out and finished proofing for the 3rd time. Onto the grill to bake.
006.jpg

The Picanha roast.
007.jpg

Fat cap trimmed down a bit, silver skin removed, and sprinkled with kosher salt. It will dry brine for about 30 hours before cooking.
008.jpg

Now we move to Saturday morning. Got some veggies sweating in a skillet that will go into the potatoes.
009.jpg

Taters all mixed up. I'll be making the cheese stuffed potato balls that Chris_in_SoCal Chris_in_SoCal posted last week. Those looked SO good!!
010.jpg

Softened cream cheese, minced onion, and shredded cheddar to stuff the potato balls with.
011.jpg

Potato balls all stuffed and formed up. These will go into the fridge for a bit to firm up before breading.
012.jpg

Chimichurri made. All the herbs in this are fresh out of Tracy's little herb garden.
013.jpg

The Heart of Palm salad all put together. Dressing is made too but will not get applied till time to serve the salad.
014.jpg

The roast after dry brining. Look at the amazing color of the meat. Such a dark, deep, rich ruby red.
015.jpg

Score the fat cap both directions and apply the seasonings. Very simple and something I've never done before. Warmed up some BTB beef base in the microwave and brushed a light coating over the roast then covered with butcher's grind black pepper. SmokinAl SmokinAl will love this!! He and I share the same propensity for black pepper :emoji_wink:
016.jpg

Now to start the Parmesan cream gravy to go over the potato balls.
017.jpg

Gravy all done. This stuff is fantastic.
018.jpg

All the components lined up to bread the potato balls.
019.jpg

Breaded and I cannot wait to try these things.
020.jpg

Got the smoker up to temp and rolling with some cherry wood. Time to get the roast on.
021.jpg

Maybe it's just me but I never get tired of seeing this.
022.jpg

My target temp starting out was 200. Figured I'd adjust as necessary based on how fast the roast is cooking. Pretty close here.
023.jpg

Kandi made some incredible appetizer kabobs. These were so cool and just delicious. Somebody here is gonna steal this one, I just have the feeling....
024.jpg

They also brought some shrimp cocktail.
025.jpg

Tracy is in the spirit of the 4th and has the dining room table all set up for the occasion.
026.jpg

Some things in life just aren't fair. Somebody is noticeably missing from the pool.
027.jpg

Time to get the potato balls on the grill to cook.
028.jpg

Here is the roast at the 2 hour mark. It's basically done so shut down the smoker and left the door open. This will keep it warm without cooking it any more.
029.jpg

Time to start eating.....finally. First course is the beef consommé garnished with green onions.
030.jpg

Second course is the Heart of Palm salad
031.jpg

The roast all done and getting happy. Looks kinda pretty :emoji_wink:
032.jpg

And sliced. Not too bad I don't guess.
033.jpg

Third course is the main plate. The Picanha roast, chimichurri, sour cream and onion rolls, and potato balls with the Parmesan cream gravy.
034.jpg

A little closer glimpse.
035.jpg

The 4th and final course: Key Lime pie.
036.jpg

037.jpg

Hey Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) sorry to revert back to a bygone era and resurrect a certain descriptor but in this instance, it is applicable my friend :emoji_wink: This truly was an epic meal. I won't be doing it again for a while though due to the vast amount of work involved but it sure made for a great experience. Tracy says the best meal I've ever done but I kinda question that. I'd certainly put it in the top three though but have no clue what 1 and 2 would be. Everything came out really, really well. The consommé was simply outstanding. The Heart of Palm salad is always a huge hit. The salad itself is top shelf but the dressing has such an amazing vibrancy to it that just brings the salad to life. That recipe came from our good friend Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ) I believe and the pie came from another good friend, Joe ( xray xray ) if I'm not mistaken. So cool to get so many great inspirations from people here. The potato balls were one of the most popular things I've ever served and that gravy was over the top. Subtle flavor but rich, decadent, and perfectly balanced. The biggest thing that really stood out for me though was brushing the BTB beef base on the roast. WOW!! That really brought it to life and will forever be a part of my beef seasoning profile. Just use it sparingly if you try it. That stuff can bring a huge salt element if overdone. All in all a very successful meal and 4 people in a food coma.

Speaking of over done, that would describe this thread. I'm done and going to crawl back under my rock now. Kudos to any of you who made it all the way through :emoji_astonished: Take care everybody, stay safe, and have a great 4th of July holiday!!

Robert

Another epi post of a epic cook! Glad I had a glass of tea and a snack on hand....Or I'd been licking the screen before I finished. And that would have called for yet another trip to HR (that I'd blame on you!).

Jim

Now that will put a smile on some guest faces! Phenomenal meal Robert! Hope you had a chance to get into the pool. Swimming is the only thing that gets me through the river now a days and the lake turning over all ready so that will be out pretty soon.

That looks great. Have a good 4th. I did the Peidmontese Pincana I got in the burger brawl the same way. It also turned out really good. Interesting cut of meat and it's grass fed.

Damn you nailed the Texas Two Step for sure!!! Beautiful job. Spoiled them good and proper no doubt.

Reactions: smokin peachey
Man that is a crazy good spread!! Glad you like th dressing and hearts of palm salad. I think I did that originally with a Brazilian themed meal. Loved it, the dressing certainly is bright and refreshing. Like usual you nailed the beef!

Awww Robert you know how to put on very nice spread. Love the consume and the potato balls
are always a hit with what ever you stuff inside.
And when you said someone was missing from the pool I thought you meant Bianca, lol
You were the cook , you must stay at your station

Very good spread , a lot of work and well loved by all I bet.

David

Sorry David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ), another beef thread...but it does have gravy so hopefully that makes up for the duplicity :emoji_laughing: Be forewarned everybody, this meal was a two day ordeal putting together and a lot of steps involved. That means a lot of pics and dialog....and I mean a LOT. Grab a cold beverage and a large tub of hot buttered popcorn and settle in for the ride.

I've made an observation: seems as though the only people on the planet that are familiar with the Picanha roast are in this forum. Nobody I've talked to that's not an SMF member has ever heard of it. Same with Jeff and Kandi. They are truly special people and great friends so I just had to change that for them :emoji_wink: They came for dinner Saturday and I decided in advance that it was just gonna be too hot to enjoy the meal outside. Since it was going to be indoors, I pulled out all the stops to make a true dining experience for them, much more than just a meal. I got things rolling about 10:00 Friday morning.

First up was the beef consommé. All the players gathered in the pan.
View attachment 669413

While that was simmering I put all the stuff together and made the Key Lime pie...and it's real-deal legit. Now into a 375 degree oven for 15 minutes to set the filling.
View attachment 669414

Earlier in the day I made the dough for the sour cream & onion rolls. Here it is after the 2nd proof.
View attachment 669415

Beef consommé finished simmering and strained. The dregs after cooking. Kinda nasty looking but the soup is amazing!!
View attachment 669416

A half pint of heavy cream whipped up to top the pie with.
View attachment 669417

Rolls portioned out and finished proofing for the 3rd time. Onto the grill to bake.
View attachment 669418

The Picanha roast.
View attachment 669419

Fat cap trimmed down a bit, silver skin removed, and sprinkled with kosher salt. It will dry brine for about 30 hours before cooking.
View attachment 669420

Now we move to Saturday morning. Got some veggies sweating in a skillet that will go into the potatoes.
View attachment 669421

Taters all mixed up. I'll be making the cheese stuffed potato balls that Chris_in_SoCal Chris_in_SoCal posted last week. Those looked SO good!!
View attachment 669422

Softened cream cheese, minced onion, and shredded cheddar to stuff the potato balls with.
View attachment 669423

Potato balls all stuffed and formed up. These will go into the fridge for a bit to firm up before breading.
View attachment 669424

Chimichurri made. All the herbs in this are fresh out of Tracy's little herb garden.
View attachment 669425

The Heart of Palm salad all put together. Dressing is made too but will not get applied till time to serve the salad.
View attachment 669426

The roast after dry brining. Look at the amazing color of the meat. Such a dark, deep, rich ruby red.
View attachment 669429

Score the fat cap both directions and apply the seasonings. Very simple and something I've never done before. Warmed up some BTB beef base in the microwave and brushed a light coating over the roast then covered with butcher's grind black pepper. SmokinAl SmokinAl will love this!! He and I share the same propensity for black pepper :emoji_wink:
View attachment 669430

Now to start the Parmesan cream gravy to go over the potato balls.
View attachment 669431

Gravy all done. This stuff is fantastic.
View attachment 669432

All the components lined up to bread the potato balls.
View attachment 669433

Breaded and I cannot wait to try these things.
View attachment 669434

Got the smoker up to temp and rolling with some cherry wood. Time to get the roast on.
View attachment 669435

Maybe it's just me but I never get tired of seeing this.
View attachment 669436

My target temp starting out was 200. Figured I'd adjust as necessary based on how fast the roast is cooking. Pretty close here.
View attachment 669437

Kandi made some incredible appetizer kabobs. These were so cool and just delicious. Somebody here is gonna steal this one, I just have the feeling....
View attachment 669439

They also brought some shrimp cocktail.
View attachment 669440

Tracy is in the spirit of the 4th and has the dining room table all set up for the occasion.
View attachment 669441

Some things in life just aren't fair. Somebody is noticeably missing from the pool.
View attachment 669442

Time to get the potato balls on the grill to cook.
View attachment 669443

Here is the roast at the 2 hour mark. It's basically done so shut down the smoker and left the door open. This will keep it warm without cooking it any more.
View attachment 669444

Time to start eating.....finally. First course is the beef consommé garnished with green onions.
View attachment 669445

Second course is the Heart of Palm salad
View attachment 669446

The roast all done and getting happy. Looks kinda pretty :emoji_wink:
View attachment 669447

And sliced. Not too bad I don't guess.
View attachment 669449

Third course is the main plate. The Picanha roast, chimichurri, sour cream and onion rolls, and potato balls with the Parmesan cream gravy.
View attachment 669450

A little closer glimpse.
View attachment 669451

The 4th and final course: Key Lime pie.
View attachment 669452
View attachment 669453

Hey Chris ( gmc2003 gmc2003 ) sorry to revert back to a bygone era and resurrect a certain descriptor but in this instance, it is applicable my friend :emoji_wink: This truly was an epic meal. I won't be doing it again for a while though due to the vast amount of work involved but it sure made for a great experience. Tracy says the best meal I've ever done but I kinda question that. I'd certainly put it in the top three though but have no clue what 1 and 2 would be. Everything came out really, really well. The consommé was simply outstanding. The Heart of Palm salad is always a huge hit. The salad itself is top shelf but the dressing has such an amazing vibrancy to it that just brings the salad to life. That recipe came from our good friend Jeff ( jcam222 jcam222 ) I believe and the pie came from another good friend, Joe ( xray xray ) if I'm not mistaken. So cool to get so many great inspirations from people here. The potato balls were one of the most popular things I've ever served and that gravy was over the top. Subtle flavor but rich, decadent, and perfectly balanced. The biggest thing that really stood out for me though was brushing the BTB beef base on the roast. WOW!! That really brought it to life and will forever be a part of my beef seasoning profile. Just use it sparingly if you try it. That stuff can bring a huge salt element if overdone. All in all a very successful meal and 4 people in a food coma.

Speaking of over done, that would describe this thread. I'm done and going to crawl back under my rock now. Kudos to any of you who made it all the way through :emoji_astonished: Take care everybody, stay safe, and have a great 4th of July holiday!!

Robert
Wow what a meal Robert! I bet everyone was happy after that plate.
Fred

WOW!! That was fantastic!! Everything looks so Amazing! You nailed that Dinner Robert!! Really loving this site!! Question, what is BTB beef base?

Every single picture was epic. The gravy on the potato balls looks great. I might just have to do that next time.

I only know about Picanha because of this place. One of these days I will get to cooking one up.

Robert, you've done it again my friend!! Tracy and you are such generous, gracious hosts and this meal is truly spectacular. What a way to spoil your guests. Very nice work!!

Edit to ask did you get Tracy to eat any shrimp?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky