Pepper seedlings - do they need heat ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gotcha. Yeah you basically want them to be moving like they would be outside in a breeze. As long as its not blowing the over 90° against the pot there good. I have mine on the same power strip as the lights...so when the lights are on so are the fans. At night everything shuts down.

I should mention, that those fans are on top of cottage cheese containers which are about 6" high. Bout the best I could improvise. And if I needed them higher, I could just stack cottage cheese containers on top of each other. But they jiggled the plants from that angle.

Reactions: LhornR
I just did a major transplanting/first culling adventure yesterday. Dunno what to do with the rest of them that didnt make the cut.

1681934038022.jpeg

The leftovers....

1681934083095.jpeg

Reactions: Smokin Okie
I grow as many as I have room, then give away the ones I don't plant. I've about found homes for all of them, I got 3 habaneros, a bell, and a couple of jalapeno.

I suvived a hail storm last night, dime to quarter size. All the plants came through OK . Top leaves on the tomato plants got beat up and some knocked off, but they'll recover.

20230419_203132.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: dr k and LhornR
I grow as many as I have room, then give away the ones I don't plant. I've about found homes for all of them, I got 3 habaneros, a bell, and a couple of jalapeno.

Well I'm overboard as it is anyway with 20 5 gallon and 10 7 gallon pots...so whatever fits in them is it. I'm pretty much a loner in this town so giving them away doesnt go well. In 2021 when I had a huge box of Poblano and Anaheim peppers I couldnt use...I set them at the curb with a free sign with a pile of shopping bags and nobody stopped. Took them to the local firehouse and they didnt want them. I ended up smoking and freezing some but a lot went in the trash.

Wow...good thing your plants survived the hail. :emoji_scream:

I planted 2 ghost pepper plants last year on the south side of me house. They never produced one pepper. Decided to dig them up in the fall and bring inside. They flowered several times during the winter but that was it. Now that spring seems to want come (snowing today) they have a ton of peppers growing. Not ever sure if I will transplant them. They make nice house plants.

IunauCk.jpg
OGlVkUo.jpg

KBFlyer KBFlyer ...does it get hot where you are? I got very little peppers from all the plants I had last year. As you can see by the grass...it was hot and peppers shut down at that point. And I even had a 60% shade cloth over them most of the time. They grew vegetation but the flowers and little buds would just drop off.

1682018537276.jpeg

KBFlyer KBFlyer ...does it get hot where you are? I got very little peppers from all the plants I had last year. As you can see by the grass...it was hot and peppers shut down at that point. And I even had a 60% shade cloth over them most of the time. They grew vegetation but the flowers and little buds would just drop off.

View attachment 663364
LOL well north western Ontario is not know for being very hot. We do get a week or two in the 90's but not often. Right now the forecast has 3 days of snow. :emoji_snowflake::emoji_snowman2::emoji_cloud_snow:

• Haha
LOL well north western Ontario is not know for being very hot. We do get a week or two in the 90's but not often. Right now the forecast has 3 days of snow. :emoji_snowflake::emoji_snowman2::emoji_cloud_snow:

Oh OK...you're way up there. Well on the opposite side peppers dont like temps below 50-60°F. Other than that I'm just a pepper rookie so I dunno what to tell ya other than good luck.

Sucks about the hail Smokin Okie Smokin Okie
Lucky considering the size of the projectiles. Must have been a short duration?

No, it lasted a while, it covered the ground pretty good. In came in two waves, first had not even started to melt when another wave hit.

The top of the tomato plants got beat up but the bottoms in good shape, I think the plastic wrap around the bottom of the cage helped protect the plant. The hail came down with a strong wind.

Got a better look during the day yesterday and there's leaves knocked off or just part of the leaves gone. Pepper plants show no damage at all.

20230419_202654.jpg

Well I'm overboard as it is anyway with 20 5 gallon and 10 7 gallon pots...so whatever fits in them is it. I'm pretty much a loner in this town so giving them away doesnt go well. In 2021 when I had a huge box of Poblano and Anaheim peppers I couldnt use...I set them at the curb with a free sign with a pile of shopping bags and nobody stopped. Took them to the local firehouse and they didnt want them. I ended up smoking and freezing some but a lot went in the trash.

Wow...good thing your plants survived the hail. :emoji_scream:
I take them to a local tavern.

Central IL is going to be 31 Sunday morning. I have so many dried pods I haven't grown any peppers in the last three years. Good luck staying away from early Spring issues.

Keep fingers crossed!

Lots of funny weather around this year. Woke up to this mess :emoji_astonished:
Not as much but a good fresh covering waiting for me at home in NW MN.

yeah I am past that 85 deg here in PA today, we got less than 2 total inches this past winter in NY
It was 85° in Minneapolis a couple weeks ago. I'm 40 miles south and the car is has a light cover of snow.

Central IL is going to be 31 Sunday morning. I have so many dried pods I haven't grown any peppers in the last three years. Good luck staying away from early Spring issues.
Spend last night in Effingham. Rained a lot and the temps were chilly.

Keep fingers crossed!

Not as much but a good fresh covering waiting for me at home in NW MN.

It was 85° in Minneapolis a couple weeks ago. I'm 40 miles south and the car is has a light cover of snow.

Spend last night in Effingham. Rained a lot and the temps were chilly.
Snowing today here in Peoria, IL. Nothing is sticking. Kinda like Styrofoam, flakes. Getting outta IL for several days. Just heading straight south to Biloxi, MS till I hit the gulf coast. 12 hour drive but may stop at Memphis.

I have a one year old Golden Retriever and she loves the snow. Never had this bread before but from researching they over heat so the cooler snow feels good to them. Wish I had that feeling but I do not. I need sun shine, cold beers and BBQ LOL

Attachments

• 53470931_10162257238735377_2200116264599289856_n.jpg
    53470931_10162257238735377_2200116264599289856_n.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky