Cutting against the grain on briskit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kdfiter

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 21, 2016
Wi
I've done quite a few briskits and I'm no pro but I bought a prime brisket and I I dont think I ever seen the grain run the way this one does ..my question is do I cut it were I drew the Mark's ..the point end is where I put a arrow ..seems to me all the ones I've done in the past the grain runs away from the point ..

Attachments

• 20181215_035115.jpg
    20181215_035115.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 20181215_085814.jpg
    20181215_085814.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 20181215_093459.jpg
    20181215_093459.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 61
KDF, Your marks are correct for cutting across the grain, maybe right hand side down a tad to be straight across.

Yup---I agree with CM.
And I guess you know it's best to mark it in some way (with a cut?) while raw, because once it's smoked it's a lot harder to tell the grain direction.

Bear

Thanks dave .you probaly cant tell but I did put a cut mark on the very top ..so I think what I will do I cut the point off first..then slice the flat

Yup---I agree with CM.
And I guess you know it's best to mark it in some way (with a cut?) while raw, because once it's smoked it's a lot harder to tell the grain direction.

Bear

Ha. Agreed.

I remember slicing up a brisket that looked SOO good coming off the smoker. Only to find the first two slices to be very tough and unappealing. Got mad, thought about it for a sec and realized I had turned the brisket and didn't account for the turn and sliced away.

Always try one of the first two or three slices lol. It saved me from ruining a great brisket with wrong cuts. Turned it in a proper direction and it was outstanding.

Tldr;

A pre cut would is a good idea.

Reactions: kdfiter
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky