Curious about pricing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oscar

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 25, 2012
Central New York
I'm going to pick up my half of beef tomorrow. It's black angus, and came to $965 all inclusive. I've only done this once before, just as covid hit, and that one came to $5.15 a pound. We're in Central New York. Different butcher this time, a few pennies more per pound, so I'm expecting an average of $5.50 or a bit higher. After looking at an 8oz. organic NY strip for $16.99 today at the local Price Chopper, I don't think we can go wrong here, but I'm curious as to what others who buy this way have seen recently in other parts of the country.

Right now, we're getting about $1.40~ $1.50/lb live weight for a beef, buyer pays kill/processing fees. We arrange processing and haul animal to processor. I think, in the future, we are going to change to a hanging weight system for charging buyers, but either way, we are going to pretty make the same per animal.

About the same here in terms of who pays for what. I think the kill fee is $40 each half, we're at .63/lb. for processing. Last butcher also had a small disposal fee. We bought from a different farmer this time, and he's at $2.00/lb. hanging weight. In the current climate, I think it'll work out for us. Hope it works out for the guys on your end, too. Not much interested in mass produced food anymore.

We bought from a different farmer this time, and he's at $2.00/lb. hanging weight.
Hanging weight price is going to be higher than live weight price, so that sounds reasonable.

That doesn't sound too bad. Around the PNW, it's $3.50-$4 lb for hanging weight, plus kill and butchering fees.

Went to pick up the half tonight....been playing with my meat ever since! My wife's a farm girl, and didn't understand why I had her playing secretary. Her father had his own butchered and just tossed it in the freezer. I just spent hard earned money.....want to know how I did! Granted, I had them leave the bone in where applicable, (short ribs look awesome), so it's a lot of bone weight, but it worked out to $4.20/lb.. Gotta go. I've got a lawn chair and cold beer waiting in front of the freezer.

• Haha
Reactions: Brokenhandle
it worked out to $4.20/lb.
If that includes the price for the animal, and processing, you can't beat that! I get off cheaper per pound because I raise them, but if I eat it, I lose what I would have sold it for, so it pretty much equals out.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky