Cured Turkey Thighs around the Vortex w/Kiawe Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
Brined 4 Turkey Thighs with Pop's6927 low salt cure fore 4 days
100_7863.JPG
Rinsed an in the fridge to dry for a few hours
Set up the Weber 22.5" Kettle with the Vortex
100_7899.JPG
Put the Turkey Thighs an Kiawe on
100_7900.JPG
Checked at the 30 minute mark 120°F
100_7901.JPG
No more peeking total time smoked 1 hr. 15 min.
100_7904.JPG
Sliced you can see how it cured all the way down to the bone
100_7905.JPG
Close up
100_7907.JPG
Plated with mashed taters & Asparagus
100_7909.JPG
Thanks for watching an Big Thanks again Pop's6927
Richie

Last edited:
Another favorite . Love cured bird on the weber . Skin looks fantastic. Nice cure and points for the truss .

Another favorite . Love cured bird on the weber . Skin looks fantastic. Nice cure and points for the truss .

Rich thanks I always liked the color the Kiawe gave the meat,when the other guys posted.
Richie

LIKE. So jealous, have never seen turkey thighs here. We have drums but too expensive to use.

Richie, I have to admit I really dig the poultry sausages you do. Very high on my list to do once I get a stuffer. Turkey weisswurst will probably be my first. My hope is the missus will eat them as she is opposed to my pork stuff.

Ok let e ask why put a cure in something thats going to be eat after its cooked? Less chemicals to me is better but if its just plain salt no biggie

Richie that looks and sounds marvelous!!!!! Definite like for me.... That is a great looking meal.

LIKE. So jealous, have never seen turkey thighs here. We have drums but too expensive to use.

Richie, I have to admit I really dig the poultry sausages you do. Very high on my list to do once I get a stuffer. Turkey weisswurst will probably be my first. My hope is the missus will eat them as she is opposed to my pork stuff.

Sam Thanks I am sure if she sees you make it with chicken or turkey she will eat it.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Ok let e ask why put a cure in something thats going to be eat after its cooked? Less chemicals to me is better but if its just plain salt no biggie

Mike it just enhances the taste,gives me the ability to smoke at low temp if I want.
Richie

Richie that looks and sounds marvelous!!!!! Definite like for me.... That is a great looking meal.

Charlie Thank you it was a good meal.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Looking REAL good Richie. I've never cured turkey, but I can tell by looking at these I'm gonna have to give it a try.
POINT
Gary
Gary I am sure you will like it,I may try a whole bird one of these days.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Man o man, those look good Richie!
Nicely done!
Al

Al Thanks they did turn out really nice I can see a lot of dishes,I can do with these.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

Awesome looking Richie sorry for late reply been having problems with internet.

Warren

Warren No problem I know I miss a lot of post especially when I travel.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

That is one top notch cook there buddy! Those look really tasty! This post reminds me I'm out of Kiawe wood!

That is one top notch cook there buddy! Those look really tasty! This post reminds me I'm out of Kiawe wood!
Justin Thank you my son sent me a box with a lot of different wood chunks,Kiawe is expensive.Thanks for the Like I appreciate it
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky