Cure #1 & 2 Volume to Weight per Pound of Meat Chart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Take Chef JJ's advise and follow it, period. He's giving you excellent guidelines and your cook will come out perfect. Cure #1 is nothing to push the boundaries of, critical to stay within safe limits. Exceeding safe limits can have a devastating effect on the thyroid gland, not something you ever want to have happen. RAY

Take Chef JJ's advise and follow it, period. He's giving you excellent guidelines and your cook will come out perfect. Cure #1 is nothing to push the boundaries of, critical to stay within safe limits. Exceeding safe limits can have a devastating effect on the thyroid gland, not something you ever want to have happen. RAY
I will be following his advice. The calculator I made in google sheets matches what he has told me to do.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
This is of value. CURE Volume to Weight Chart in Ounces and Grams for the weight of meat in Pounds...JJ

NOTE: The Weight in Grams may vary, a few tenths from what others typically use and post. But this is due to the OP's, Susan Minor, rounding. The Weights are Safe and within USDA Guidelines. Susan Minor's original website is no longer active...

Amount of Meat/Fat Amount of Cure
Vol. Wt.
1 lb. 1/4 tsp. .05 oz. 1.42g
2 lbs. 3/8 tsp. .08 oz. 2.26g
3 lbs. 1/2 tsp. .10 oz. 2.83g
4 lbs. 3/4 tsp. .15 oz. 4.25g
5 lbs. 1 tsp. .20 oz. 5.67g
10 lbs. 2 tsp. .40 oz. 11.34g
15 lbs. 1 Tbsp. .55 oz. 15.59g
20 lbs. 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. .80 oz. 22.68g
25 lbs. 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. 1.00 oz. 28.35g
50 lbs. 3 Tbsp. + 1 1/4 tsp. 2.00 oz. 56.70g
100 lbs. 1/4 C. + 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. 4.00 oz. 113.4g

tsp. = teaspoon; Tbsp.= Tablespoon; C. = cup.
oz.= ounce
Thanks for the share. Will this be good for both dry & wet cure?

^^^^^My Bud got you covered!😉...JJ

I'm not sure if this is allowed or not, so if not, I apologize and please feel free to remove it...
I got tired of going back/forth to my computer in order to calculate how much cure, salt and sugar I needed when curing my bacon, so being that I create mobile apps, I created an iPhone app called Cure Calculator. If you're interested, just DM me and I'll send you the app store link. I'll work on the Android version when if i get some free time...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky