1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cure #1 & 2 Volume to Weight per Pound of Meat Chart

Discussion in 'Curing' started by chef jimmyj, Apr 15, 2019.

1. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

This is of value. CURE Volume to Weight Chart in Ounces and Grams for the weight of meat in Pounds...JJ

NOTE: The Weight in Grams may vary, a few tenths from what others typically use and post. But this is due to the OP's, Susan Minor, rounding. The Weights are Safe and within USDA Guidelines. Susan Minor's original website is no longer active...

Amount of Meat/Fat Amount of Cure
    Vol. Wt.
    1 lb. 1/4 tsp. .05 oz. 1.42g
    2 lbs. 3/8 tsp. .08 oz. 2.26g
    3 lbs. 1/2 tsp. .10 oz. 2.83g
    4 lbs. 3/4 tsp. .15 oz. 4.25g
    5 lbs. 1 tsp. .20 oz. 5.67g
    10 lbs. 2 tsp. .40 oz. 11.34g
    15 lbs. 1 Tbsp. .55 oz. 15.59g
    20 lbs. 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. .80 oz. 22.68g
    25 lbs. 1 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. 1.00 oz. 28.35g
    50 lbs. 3 Tbsp. + 1 1/4 tsp. 2.00 oz. 56.70g
    100 lbs. 1/4 C. + 2 Tbsp. + 2 tsp. 4.00 oz. 113.4g

tsp. = teaspoon; Tbsp.= Tablespoon; C. = cup.
    oz.= ounce

2. crazymoon

crazymoon Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

CJJ, Great post that will come in handy for many of us!

3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Epic Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thank You,...This chart was on another site that is no longer available. Thought I would make it a Sticky, here, for SMF members benefit. Enjoy...JJ

4. JC in GB

JC in GB Meat Mopper

Just out of curiosity, is that chart set up to achieve a target PPM of nitrite/nitrate of 156?

5. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

The larger amounts will give you 156ppm nitrite.. some of the smaller volumes come close, but without weighing the nitrite, there is a larger margin of error. For example, the correct weight for 156ppm nitrite for 1# of meat is 1.134g where as 1/4 tsp. is more than that.

28.35g for 25# meat is 156ppm......

JC in GB and danmcg like this.
  6. indaswamp

indaswamp Master of the Pit OTBS Member

For sausages, I always weigh the cure... and when doing large batches, I take 28.35g and divide that by 25# which is equal to 1.134g/lb. then multiply by however many pounds of product I am making.

JC in GB likes this.
  7. chef jimmyj

Yes, the Target was 156ppm, specifically for Sausage, as the original chart was in a Sausage thread. Again, a few PPM one way or the other has ZERO effect, so a few Tenths off is not even worth worrying about.

It is important to understand that accurately measuring Cure by Weight or Volume is Important to get consistent results...BUT...We are not a processor using pure Sodium Nitrite!
    With Cure #1 and 2, if you are off by a teaspoon or a gram, it's no big deal.Your total PPM will still fall within safe limits.You will not be making Toxic Sausage.
    Using Pure Nitrite, add a Gram too much and you may have real problem, depending on the amount of sausage being made. This is why we hesitate when a member wants to know how to Mix their own Cure #1 or 2. Pure Nitrite is NOT a Newbie Toy...JJ

JC in GB and chopsaw like this.
  8. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks JJ will come in handy.

Warren

JC in GB likes this.
  9. HalfSmoked

HalfSmoked Smoking Guru Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

JC in GB Thanks for the like it is appreciated.

Warren

10. JC in GB

JC in GB Meat Mopper

Thanks for the reply. I would not risk using pure nitrite unless I was a commercial processor making 100's of pounds of product at a time.

11. daveomak

daveomak Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Do yourselves a favor and get a grams electronic scale... about $12... 0-100 grams so you can be accurate...
    ... Weigh Scale
    I did a test with 2 sets of measuring spoons I had in the kitchen.. there was a 25% difference between them... Seems manufacturers don't have much quality control or they don't care...

Here are the 2 teaspoons I checked... it's obvious they are different...

Teaspoons 001.jpg

JC in GB likes this.
  12. JC in GB

JC in GB Meat Mopper

Agreed. I learned from baking that using weight is always more accurate than volume. The scale is well worth taking the guesswork out of measuring.