CSR Char Siu style???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Hi I will give NOH brand a try. I tried to make a Chinese BBQ sauce for ribs and failed. So that is why I gave up trying to make these Asian sauces.
Thanks Dan

Hi All Any one know of a good Char Sui sauce I can buy at an Asian market.
I tried a few sauces from Lee Kum Kee was not happy with them. I don't want to go out and buy all the stuff to make my own..I tried making a Chinese BBQ sauce with hoisin sauce as the base, didn't come out so good.Hi All Any one know of a good Char Sui sauce I can buy at an Asian market.
I tried a few sauces from Lee Kum Kee was not happy with them. I don't want to go out and buy all the stuff to make my own..I tried making a Chinese BBQ sauce with hoisin sauce as the base, didn't come out so good.
Thanks Dan

Hi All Any one know of a good Char Sui sauce I can buy at an Asian market.
I tried a few sauces from Lee Kum Kee was not happy with them. I don't want to go out and buy all the stuff to make my own..I tried making a Chinese BBQ sauce with hoisin sauce as the base, didn't come out so good.Hi All Any one know of a good Char Sui sauce I can buy at an Asian market.
I tried a few sauces from Lee Kum Kee was not happy with them. I don't want to go out and buy all the stuff to make my own..I tried making a Chinese BBQ sauce with hoisin sauce as the base, didn't come out so good.
Thanks Dan
Dan,
sorry but don't know of any besides the powdered mixes.
Also, you've an echo, an echo, echo.

Dan,
I know you don't want to buy the ingredients, but why not make one big batch, portion it out and either can or freeze it?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, like most canned, bottled or powdered versions of homemade, you will never get the same flavor.
I would be interested in what recipe you tried with Hoisin. Recipes vary and not all are good...JJ

Hi I tried a Chinese BBQ sauce, using hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chopped garlic. The recipe was on the bottle of Kikomans hoisin sauce. Taste nothing like what I get in a Chinese restaurant.
Funny story many years ago my wife took a Chinese cooking class, that came with a recipe book.We tried the BBQ spare rib recipe that was in the book, the ribs came out great better then a Chinese restaurant. The recipe book is no longer around.:(
Thanks Dan
PS I still have one Asian BBQ sauce to try from my Asian market.
This is the sauce. https://usa.lkk.com/en/products/spare-rib-sauce

Last edited:
I know you want to find a mix that you like but if you can't here is what I make up. Only takes five minutes.
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce ( la choy is what I have )
2 tablespoons hoisin sauce ( Lee kum kee)
1 tablespoon Sriracha
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
Red food coloring but I never use it

Mix it all up. The key to this is to make sure you have maximum meat surface area in the marinade. I like sliced chicken breast skewered or 1 to 2 inch chunks of pork loin. Put them in a Ziploc bag with the marinade and squeeze out all the air. Very important to let it sit 24 hours. No joke. Picks up an amazing amount of flavor. Get your grill nice and hot and don't over cook. If you can't find what you're looking for I hope this can help.

Hi All Got 2 new ones to try 1st.
Thanks Dan
mphzXQa.jpg

My wife is Cantonese and we live a few miles from Oakland Chinatown, so we eat a lot of Char Siu. When making my own, I usually follow this recipe -

I found the Lee Kum Kee char siu sauce at the supermarket last year, so I picked up a jar thinking it would be a good shortcut. Tried it once and threw the rest of the jar away - it tastes nothing like the real stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
Bregent, you have a go to chicken or stock recipe or advice for sauces? We had a great local cantonese place but owner retired and all the other joints are no where as authentic. Very confident it's the stock. I have some recipes and tried one and getting there but still pretty far from where I want to be.

Bregent, you have a go to chicken or stock recipe or advice for sauces?

Nothing out of the ordinary, and no special ingredient that would make it particularly suited for Cantonese dishes. I start with a mirepoix, sautee till soft and add roasted chicken parts, herbs, simmer and strain. For herbs, I often just use poultry seasoning as it has a good blend of herbs. When cutting up chicken for meals, I always save the back, neck, wing tips, ect and freeze for stock later. Make sure to roast them in the oven until the skin starts to brown to help develop more flavor before using in the stock. I don't typically add the giblets, but you might want to add those as well (less the liver) to see if that makes a difference.

My wife is Cantonese and we live a few miles from Oakland Chinatown, so we eat a lot of Char Siu. When making my own, I usually follow this recipe -

I found the Lee Kum Kim char siu sauce at the supermarket last year, so I picked up a jar thinking it would be a good shortcut. Tried it once and threw the rest of the jar away - it tastes nothing like the real stuff.

Hi I did the same thing:). with the Lee Kum Kee char siu sauce. It was way too salty and din't have the taste I was looking for? Going to try these next.
Dan
mphzXQah.jpg

Last edited:
Bregent, you have a go to chicken or stock recipe or advice for sauces? We had a great local cantonese place but owner retired and all the other joints are no where as authentic. Very confident it's the stock. I have some recipes and tried one and getting there but still pretty far from where I want to be.

A restaurant owner told me that most of the cookie cutter Chinese restaurants use a powder base. But he explained, in his fathers day they made a Master Stock. Recipes vary greatly but the common denominator is, Stock uses up meat trim, bones an vegetable trim, instead of tossing these items. The ingredients are what is on haand from other dishes. A recipe of mine ,found in the Test Forum, first post, 3rd to last recipe, has a nice flavor and is similar to what a Real Chinese Restaurant, my family frequented, served as Wonton Soup broth in the 60's/70's..JJ

Reactions: zwiller
Thanks JJ. That's dang close to the base recipe I'm using so I am getting there. I always found it odd that leftovers from this place always gelled up... Now I know why. Probably pretty basic stuff to a trained chef, but took me awhile to figure it out. Same goes for using such a stock for sauces. I do know that this place used smoked ham (we have a good processor in town). I think that's the owners signature, along with her dishes being subtly made, like a grandmother. Nothing like mall food court stuff. Fired up, might make a batch today.

I am no char siu master but I tend to think most recipes for the marinade are way too busy and over the top. Each time I make it I am simplifying it. In the end, I might end up with something as simple as below.

:

Hi All Another waste. My wife took one bite and her plate went into the garbage, she is VERY picky eater. She said it was fatty and not good tastesing.I should give up this Asian try with pork, was her comment. I used the Spare Rib Sauce
Dan
mphzXQa.jpg
mphzXQa.jpg

Last edited:
Dan, sorry to read that. I missed the forest for the trees as my wife would say and feel somewhat responsible for that. I went looking for that link and forgot to post the most important part. Do NOT use CSR! We (3 girls and myself) hate them. Not sure what is going on but the flavor is there but all sorts of funky fat and stuff that doesn't render even cooking the heck out of them. The pic you posted at #10 is disgusting even to me. I'd only use them for sausage myself but usually these are expensive cuts around here for that. Use loin. A sure win and totally chick friendly. I usually can score them for about the same price as CSR. Thick cut chops could work too but around here prices are whack (chops cost as much as steak, CSR 2-3x butt, but ribs and loin cheap) Ribs might be another option but probably a little rubbery for a chick.

Hi All Just picked up a package of CSR's..I have a few options on how to cook them. I'm going to marinade them in a Char Siu sauce, going for more of a Chinese boneless ribs type. I'm thinking the best way would hot n fast, like the Chinese do.
1 Hang then in my WSM
2 Grill them over charcoal
3 Put them in basket on thr Rotsserie
3 Cook them in the oven
icon_rolleyes.gif

Any thoughts or idea's on how I should cook them and temps?

Thanks Dan
PS I'm still looking for a Char Siu sauce for them. There are soo many commercial ones out there.

This is all I got Dan:
Char Siu Country Style Ribs

Bear

Tenderloins work great and after removing the silverskin, there is nothing funky on them. Of no farther than 150°...JJ

LOL. Just threw a few butt strips in that NOH marinade and it looks like Pepto. Total five spice bomb too. We'll see. Just making it for shrimp and pork fried rice. At this point I think the red bean curd is the key to the real deal.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky