• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Corned beef brine

bobrap

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 9, 2012
Wanted to ask what the corned beef/pastrami makers here use in their brine. I use Pop's brine and add pickilibg spice. The amount of pickling spice has me scratching my head. Can't remember how much spice I used last time I made it (write things down, dummy lol). I got the pickling spice from Atlantic Spice Co and their recommendation on the package is 2-3 TBS per quart of H2O. Seems like a lot to me. Any thoughts? Thanks.

bobrap

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 9, 2012
If I remember correctly, that's about what I used before. Maybe a bit more. 16 TBS for 2 gal brine? Way too much I think.

Steve H

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 18, 2018
I would only use about 3 tbs as well. Pretty strong stuff.

pops6927

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jul 23, 2008
I think I used 2 tbsp the last time I made it, without checking my notes.

Last edited:

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
I used pop's brine last year when I made some, if I remember right I used 2 tablespoons per gallon. one of these years i'll start writing things down and remember where I hid it so i'll know where I put it.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I just pour some in, but usually do a dry cure for pastrami. I like the texture of the meat better than a wet brine.
Al

bobrap

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 9, 2012
I used pop's brine last year when I made some, if I remember right I used 2 tablespoons per gallon. one of these years i'll start writing things down and remember where I hid it so i'll know where I put it.
LOL. Sounds just like me! I have a buddy who is an avid baker and writes everything down. I made some Kielbasi one time and I told him I wrote the whole process down. He started laughing and bought me a beer! :emoji_laughing:

bobrap

Smoke Blower
Joined Dec 9, 2012
Thanks for the responses everybody. Really appreciate the help/recommendations.

HalfSmoked

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Jun 11, 2015
I just pour some in, but usually do a dry cure for pastrami. I like the texture of the meat better than a wet brine.
Al
So what is your dry cure Al?
Is it posted somewhere in the forum?

Warren

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
So what is your dry cure Al?
Is it posted somewhere in the forum?

Warren
It's in this thread Warren.
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.