Corned beef brine

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bobrap

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 9, 2012
Estill Springs, TN
Wanted to ask what the corned beef/pastrami makers here use in their brine. I use Pop's brine and add pickilibg spice. The amount of pickling spice has me scratching my head. Can't remember how much spice I used last time I made it (write things down, dummy lol). I got the pickling spice from Atlantic Spice Co and their recommendation on the package is 2-3 TBS per quart of H2O. Seems like a lot to me. Any thoughts? Thanks.

If I remember correctly, that's about what I used before. Maybe a bit more. 16 TBS for 2 gal brine? Way too much I think.

I think I used 2 tbsp the last time I made it, without checking my notes.

Last edited:
I used pop's brine last year when I made some, if I remember right I used 2 tablespoons per gallon. one of these years i'll start writing things down and remember where I hid it so i'll know where I put it.

I just pour some in, but usually do a dry cure for pastrami. I like the texture of the meat better than a wet brine.
Al

I used pop's brine last year when I made some, if I remember right I used 2 tablespoons per gallon. one of these years i'll start writing things down and remember where I hid it so i'll know where I put it.
LOL. Sounds just like me! I have a buddy who is an avid baker and writes everything down. I made some Kielbasi one time and I told him I wrote the whole process down. He started laughing and bought me a beer! :emoji_laughing:

So what is your dry cure Al?
Is it posted somewhere in the forum?

Warren

It's in this thread Warren.
Al

It's in this thread Warren.
Al
Al,

I'm trying this dry brine and noticed that there is not a lot of moisture coming from the brisket, unlike a pork loin or belly bacon, for example. Does that seem right to you?

Thank you!

Al,

I'm trying this dry brine and noticed that there is not a lot of moisture coming from the brisket, unlike a pork loin or belly bacon, for example. Does that seem right to you?

Thank you!

Yes, sometimes you get a lot of liquid & sometimes not. If you Followed the recipe & used the correct amount of cure #1, then your good to go.
Al

Yes, sometimes you get a lot of liquid & sometimes not. If you Followed the recipe & used the correct amount of cure #1, then your good to go.
Al
Thanks Al.. Followed the recipe, yes, but I did use TQ instead of #1, at a rate of 1 TBSP per pound. So, should be all good. Thanks again!

How long to cure just the flat with this method using Pops brine? i have some going now, the AmazingRibs calculator shows a cure time of 3 days for a 1.5'' flat. Seems awfully short to me...

Most go 7 days per inch with a Brine. That 1/2" per day ( 1/4" from all sides) is more accurate for Dry Rub Cures. They go faster because of the high concentration of Salt...JJ

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky