Cold smoked dry cured chorizo.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bratrules

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Southern Cali.
I just got through making another batch of dry cured chorizo but this time i cold smoked it for 3 days. and it came out amazing. this was my first time cold smoking something for such a long period of time. so believe you me i did my research. now this is a dry cured fermented sausage it contains both CURE#2 AND Bactoferm f-lc. So after i cold smoked it using AMNPS. ( oh i used oak & cherry pellets BTW) i hung it to finish curing at 58 degrees with 75-80% humidity in my cheapo curing chamber. heres what it looks like. 

947b75c9_IMG_20120301_120717.jpg

f75c2aec_IMG_20120301_130829.jpg

7f0c8412_IMG_20120303_095610.jpg

9404872a_IMG_20120311_173831.jpg

Its very very good!!!!!

Looks delicious!  What's your "[color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]cheapo curing chamber"?[/color]

A mini fridge with a temp controller and small fan. i call it cheap cause its not a fancy set up lol hey but it gets the job done. what i like about it is that humidity is very constant. I cant fit a whole lot in it but its enough for me and my family. For now lol. 

i used half sweet paprika and half hot smoked paprika. i didn't want to you all smoked paprika since a was going to cold smoke it. it might have been a little to much.

Sausage looks good!...Have not seen you around in awhile hope all is well...JJ

Hey brat.....X2 on the havent seen ya around.....Chorizo looks great.......................
icon14.gif

Joe

Wow! Looks great! Anyone have the taste-o-vision working yet?

I too would like to see you're curing chamber. How do you adjust humidity?

icon_cool.gif

Now that chorizo sure looks good. I have a small refrig myself. Now that I got it back from the wife's office I might be able to use it for some drying meat.

Sausage looks good!...Have not seen you around in awhile hope all is well...JJ

Hey brat.....X2 on the havent seen ya around.....Chorizo looks great.......................
icon14.gif

Joe
Hey Jimmy/boykjo all is good on this side. hope all is good with you guys. Oh and i will post some pics of the chamber later today. and as for the smoking process i just started the AMNPS each morning and let it go till it was done. so it cold smoked for about 10-12 hours a day at 70-82 degrees.

So here is the pic of the curing chamber i promised. My cheap curing chamber lol

bdbfb023_IMG_20120325_134654.jpg
I have a little fridge just like that, and a second one, maybe a little bigger.

Could you give a little info on where you got your fan and what kind it is?  Is it just a 110v computer fan? 

How are you controlling humidity?

I did some air dried country sausage this year and it turned out very good, but our winters are s o mild in NC anymore, that I'd like to make some using a fridge to make sure it stays cold enough.

Where did you do your research on curing the sausage...book, online?

Bobby

Last edited:
I have a little fridge just like that, and a second one, maybe a little bigger.

Could you give a little info on where you got your fan and what kind it is?  Is it just a 110v computer fan? 

How are you controlling humidity?

I did some air dried country sausage this year and it turned out very good, but our winters are s o mild in NC anymore, that I'd like to make some using a fridge to make sure it stays cold enough.

Where did you do your research on curing the sausage...book, online?

Bobby
Well the fan is a regular old computer fan i set it up with some extra parts i had left over from a stir plate i made. Its 12v hooked to a 6v power supply. and as for humidity well this mini fridge has a little freezer unit and since its always around 56-58 it never freezes so i just wrap a super clean towel around the freezer unit. that keeps my humidity around 72-83% all the time. i just keep the door i little open to get some good air flow. also make sure every thing is super clean i use star-san which is for brewing but it works wonders here also. And as for learning how to cure sausage i just learn by doing hours upon hours of reading online mostly also check your local library. oh also the temp control is a unit that is used for brewing there not that expensive. hope that help if you got anymore questions let me know. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky