Comparing Pfefferbeisser To Dry Salami Sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Time to compare the both.

First the Pefferbeisser. German for pepper bites.
Lightly cold smoked then hung to dry.
cutbp1.jpg

Feels good, looks, good and taste good. The long pepper gave it a different taste over the regular pepper. The recipe is German and used cure 1.
cutbp.JPG

Now the dry salami sticks from the chamber. Used bactoferm and cure 2.
Since these are going to a friend I need to wipe the mold off (hillbillies dont know whats good)

dsalsti.JPG

Ok now the test.

Got my wife as the guinea.....lol

On the right is the Pfefferbeisser stick.
Left the dry salami stick.
cutstbp2.jpg

Pepper bite to the taster.
She said taste good.

Now the dry.
She said yes this one is really good.....:emoji_blush:

Ok there you have it.

Next pepper bite gets bacto and cure 2.

If it was based on correct pronunciation I'd have to pick the same one... least I know how to pronounce it. But they both look good!

Ryan

They both look great!

Care to share the recipe for Pfefferbeisser? That needs to go on my list!

They both look great!

Care to share the recipe for Pfefferbeisser? That needs to go on my list!
INGREDIENTS PER 1 KG Pfefferbeisser

75 % pork shoulder (750g)
25 % pork backfat (250g)

SPICES PER KG OF MEAT

21.5 g salt/non iodized
2.5 g cure 1
3 g white pepper
3 g black pepper
2 g paprika
1 g garlic powder
1 g mace

sheep casing.

Grind the above to a fine mix if you can. (The dry)

Hang the Pfefferbeisser at room temperature (68 – 77 °F) and let them ferment for 24 hours. The humidity should be around 80%. You can spray them with water from time to time. Not critical 80% rh

Hang them in the smoker and cold smoke. I made 2 passes here. That means 12 hours of smoke and 12 hours of no smoke each pass. The temperature should ideally be between (59 F° – 68 F°).

After the second pass, the Pfefferbeisser will have a nice color. If you want them firmer, you can also let them ripen and dry for a few more days.

INGREDIENTS PER 1 KG Pfefferbeisser

75 % pork shoulder (750g)
25 % pork backfat (250g)

SPICES PER KG OF MEAT

21.5 g salt/non iodized
2.5 g cure 1
3 g white pepper
3 g black pepper
2 g paprika
1 g garlic powder
1 g mace

sheep casing.

Grind the above to a fine mix if you can. (The dry)

Hang the Pfefferbeisser at room temperature (68 – 77 °F) and let them ferment for 24 hours. The humidity should be around 80%. You can spray them with water from time to time. Not critical 80% rh

Hang them in the smoker and cold smoke. I made 2 passes here. That means 12 hours of smoke and 12 hours of no smoke each pass. The temperature should ideally be between (59 F° – 68 F°).

After the second pass, the Pfefferbeisser will have a nice color. If you want them firmer, you can also let them ripen and dry for a few more days.
Thanks! Do you think I could use hog casings and flatten like landjaeger?

Nope. but it is on my list. from what i gather, don't pack casings too tightly before pressing.

:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing:

Looking good Rick! Glad to see you turning out some great stuff now that your chamber is dialed in....
Thanks.

I gotta check some weights tonight. Be gone for a week. If they are wishing dry range I'm going to vac with the mold still on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky