Cob Smoked Bacon (Harrington's knock off)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BobP325

Original poster
Aug 26, 2020
Bought a bag of Sunseed Brand Natural Corn Cob Bedding with following claims: made from 100% USA-grown corn cob, biodegradable and no artificial dyes or additives. Smoked a trimmed 4# piece of pork belly after a 1 week cure with the following: 4 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, 4 ½ teaspoons ground black pepper, 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar, ½ cup of maple syrup, ¾ cup distilled water and ½ teaspoon of Prague Powder. Did a 250 deg smoke until a 150 deg internal temp was reached.
The results were outstanding spot on aroma, and flavor (my taste test). I'm hesitant to have others eat it because I'm thinking is the smoke from these cobs safe? As stated on the bag, 100% USA-grown corn cob, biodegradable and no artificial dyes or additives. Ultimately I want to do a Christmas ham as I did last year, this time I'll use corn cobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
I bought from Harrington's back in the 90's; it was great stuff and clued me in to cob smoking.
Now I buy Best Cob bedding from Tractor Supply. 40 lb. bag is $9.99, and use about a 70/30 mix of cob and cherry when I'm smoking bacon or hams. Been doing it that way for years, and it's a favorite of friends and family.

Thanx for the response guys. I appreciate the feedback and the relief knowing the cob pellets are safe to use.:emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky