BestCob® Corn Cob Pellets for AMNPS!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes but how much isThe shipping going to cost to Napa CA?
grilling_smilie.gif
o., i didnt think about that...

What do they smell/taste like vs say hickory?
Very sweet smoke. Smells like roasting corn. Doesn't have the "tang" of hickory. They can be used alone (there are a couple of mail order places in Vermont that sell cob-smoked ham and bacon), or in a combination. I use it with cherry (another fairly sweet smoke) to get that good mahogany color on my bacon.

But I dont know.  I know there is no "food grade" pellet out there, but I doubt that if animals are going to dump on it, the manufacturer is taking care of what chemicals accidentally get into the pelllets.  I dont know. 

Pops Thanks for the lead, I picked up a bag on my way home from Ga. $9.99 

Richie

Good find on the pellets Pop's, will check them out in my area, thanks.

As I am always in search for a distinct flavor, I will also see if the used ones can be purchased. Do you think they would have to be dried in the microwave. I would imagine so. 
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif

Thanks again,

Tom
They do soak up moisture easily. They burn extremely well when they are dry. I use them on bacon.

They do soak up moisture easily. They burn extremely well when they are dry. I use them on bacon.
I did a tray of them,during the week to reseason my smoker.Had them in the CC took a long time to get them dry that way.This morning I nuked a half tray.Lit it at 8:30 in the mailbox and it is pumping TBS.

Richie

I'm sold on trying them. For ten dollars, it's worth the 8 mile drive to pick up a bag. My wife was just looking at my stash of different pellets asking why I need so much. She doesn't know about the shipment on the truck coming today from Todd. What's another 40 pounds anyway
32.gif
?

I had an in-law pick me up a 40 lb. bag at a store 60 miles from me. Right after that, a new store opened about 15 miles away. 
icon_rolleyes.gif
  This bag should last me at least 2 years, maybe 3.

Last edited:
McNeeley,
Not sure what you're smoking on but am I wrong in assuming that it can be mixed in with the other pellets when using a pellet smoker or am I wrong?
PS
I'm a newbie so I'm willing to be wrong. :sausage:

If you're talking about a pellet pooper like a Traeger, that I don't have any experience with.  Perhaps someone who does can chime in?

I use an AMNPS to burn the pellets inside my MES30, and fridge conversion electric smokers. Any combination can be used in an AMNPS.

Last edited:
If anyone hasn't tried corn cobs, I highly recommend it.  Nice sweet smoke.

Reminds me of my aunt cooking on the corn cob fired range... way back when.  Actually a separate building to store corn cobs. Not open like this crib.  Covered hole in the roof to fill the building with cobs from an elevator:

web-corn-elevator.jpg

Good luck and good smoking.

It’s been 8 years since Pops started this intriguing post on corn cob pellets and almost 6 years since Venture made the last comment. I’m not sure what got me on this but one of you made a comment recently that led me to this thread. I spent the morning trying to convince my local TSC manager that they had these pellets only to be told that she was too busy to look. Haha! So, I went home and ordered them online for curbside pickup. I tried twice and both orders were canceled. This was even after a very apologetic sales associate apologized for her apathetic manager and that she was sure they had them.

Not one to be outdone I ordered a bag from the next nearest TSC store 20 miles away. My order was accepted and they even put it in my van. She did ask if I owned a horse which then led to a conversation about pellet smokers and bacon. I love talking about bacon. It was an interesting day.

I grew up on a farm in Minnesota and we always grew corn. I have never heard of using cobs to cook. I’ve heard jokes about them being used as emergency toilet paper but never as fuel for food. We did have a few of those old open-air corn cribs but I just remember the corn being taken away, never husked. There are some old Scandinavian cooking traditions I will never pass on to my kids, such as Lutefisk, so maybe my grandparents decided they would bury the corn cob tradition in favor of modern electric ovens. I’d rather they had buried the Lutefisk.

I just pulled a mutilated Costco boneless pork shoulder out of Pop’s brine. They really hacked it up but it looked nice in the package. It’s been in soaking for 2 weeks. I have no idea if I will like corn cob smoke but it sounds like a lot of you folks use it. At ten bucks for a 40 lb bag and a mutilated shoulder, why not try it?

I stuffed the shoulder into a stocking and tomorrow it will become pulled ham. I figured I’d start with that as I have 30 lbs of pork belly finishing a dry cure in another day or so. I’d love to hear what some of you for ratios and wood mixes. I picked up some plum pellets but I also saw someone using cherry for the color. Or maybe I should use straight up corn cob? I’ll be cooking on a Yoder pellet grill. The pellets look as dry as any hardwood pellet I’ve used. I look forward to your advice.

7687A47F-6AC1-4CB9-B420-524BD04EC94F.jpeg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky