Smoked Mashed Potato Fries with stir fried Sliced pork Belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DRKsmoking

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 27, 2021
Middle Sackville, Nova Scotia ,Canada
Smoked Mashed Potato Fries with stir fried Sliced pork Belly

So I wanted to do these for awhile now:

2 cups mashed potatoes with only a little butter for starters
1/4 cup of green onion
1/2 cup of cheddar cheese
3 table of corn starch
1 table of chicken soup base
1 tea Lawry's seasoning salt
1 tea oregano
1/4 cup heavy cream ( i used whipping cream )
mix all really good, put all in a piping bag ( i now just use the plastic disposable ones )
Taste this now to make sure it is what you want , I had to stop myself as I was hunger lol

I wanted to try these to be the size of regular french fries. So i cut the hole to what I thought it should be . You can
cut it bigger , but would not go smaller as they would dry out too much when smoked at 325 deg.
DSC_4582.JPG

DSC_4583.JPG

DSC_4584.JPG DSC_4585.JPG
DSC_4586.JPG

place in the freezer for half hour , have smoker rolling at 325 deg. with Hickory chips
Get my 3 plates of flour, 2 eggs and some milk whisked up, Panko and paprika and a little salt and pepper, just for a little seasoning on the out side also, the mashed is already flavored right.
Pulled the fries out of freezer and floured all first than in egg than in Panko ( these were frozen good for 30 minutes, easy to work with )
DSC_4587.JPG

DSC_4588.JPG

DSC_4589.JPG

DSC_4590.JPG

Off to the smoker,

DSC_4591.JPG

While they are have a good smoke , I had already pulled a package of my smoked belly , cut up to smaller pieces
sliced onions with red and green bell peppers . Started frying the belly , added the onions than the peppers , smells real nice now
DSC_4594.JPG

DSC_4595.JPG DSC_4596.JPG
DSC_4597.JPG

As this is frying brought in the fries from the smoker

DSC_4592.JPG

DSC_4593.JPG

All ready to fill up the serving platter....god i'm fancy now...serving platter

DSC_4599.JPG

DSC_4601.JPG

Here is my plate , I made some pork gravy yesterday from the pork roast we had on Saturday

So Pork Belly stir fry with mashed potato fries and gravy, now this was good.

DSC_4602.JPG

The fries were crunchy on the outside and still moist inside

DSC_4603.JPG

DSC_4604.JPG

It was fun to try this out as I said I wanted to for a while. I did not smoke all the fries put some of the floured ones back in the freezer for another day.
I will say that maybe I will do these again but just a little thicker and try without the outside coating , maybe just a light spray of Pam before going into the smoker. They were real good ,
just not the same as a french fry, because of the batter on them. We do not like the battered fries that some fast food shops have , and these reminded Mona of those ...so I was told, can't win lol

These are fantastic done in the deep fryer , I just wanted to try the smoker way. So if you want to fry in oil just do everything except the egg and Panko

So great meal , thanks for looking

David

Those are added to the list as well! Isn't there a rule if you eat too many carbs they turn into a negative and you lose weight? :emoji_blush: If not, there is now lol! They look really good!

Ryan

Those are added to the list as well! Isn't there a rule if you eat too many carbs they turn into a negative and you lose weight? :emoji_blush: If not, there is now lol! They look really good!

Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the comment

That is how I see it , the more Potatoes I eat the more I want ,
so I hope your rule is right...:emoji_sunglasses::emoji_laughing:

David

What an interesting twist on poutine! Taters, cheese, gravy.....

I'd probably have eaten the whole platter..... just for scientific purposes. Have to make sure it digests properly before serving to others! It looks and sounds delicious.

Thanks Jack for the comment

Never thought of it that way, I just like make potatoes lots of different ways. Love potatoes.

I was thinking like you about the platter , but the looks I got . I had to share. lol
Yes the mashed fries are really good , and if you want they are also good done in oil, I just thought I
could smoke them

David

Interesting idea. I never thought about smoking them. They sure look delicious.

Thanks Matt for the comment

I have smoked mashed potatoes lots of different ways , they suck in the smoke very easy so have to watch the amount of smoke to your taste, My wife finds the potatoes most times too harsh for her liking :emoji_disappointed:

David

David that whole meal looks fantastic but I'm loving that idea with the fries. Very creative. gotta admit though, the pork sounds amazing too but I gotta try those fries at some point. Thanks for sharing.

Robert

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky