• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
I had some friends coming over for a casual dinner. I also had a nice piece of chuck roast. Time for a beef dip!

I started with about a 2 kg 4 pound chuck and rubbed it down with SPOG (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder). I put chunks of one onion, one large carrot, 1 stalk celery and 2 cloves garlic in a roasting pan. This is the start of an au jus based on Chef Jimmy J's recipe but I have simplified it for my humble tastes.

340947-db7cf93b21d0236dbbef00183ef6c7a0.jpg

I put the chuck on a rack over the roasting pan and put it in a 230 F pellet smoker competition blend pellets and fired up the Amaz'n Tube Smoker with the same. I put the chuck in.

beef dip 2.jpg

I smoked it for 1 hour and added 500 ml (2 cups) of beef stock to the roasting pan. I smoked for 3 more hours.

beef dip 3.jpg

I added 500 ml (2 cups) of water to the pan and covered with foil and put it back in the smoker. At this point, you could put it in the oven as it won't pick up any more smoke in the oven. It was a warm day so I continued in the smoker rather than heat up the house.

beef dip 4.jpg

I brought it in and let it rest on a cutting board while I made the jus for the beef dip.

I put the juices and vegetables from the pan in a saucepan. I added 50 ml (1/4 cup) ketchup, 15 ml (1 tbsp) Worcestershire Sauce and 250 ml (1 cup) red wine. I simmered the vegetables for 10 minutes over medium heat.

beef dip 6.jpg

I strained the liquid off the vegetables.

beef dip 9.jpg

I defatted the liquid by putting in in a clear measure and pulling the liquid from under the fat with a poultry baster.I added enough beef stock to make it up to 750 ml (3 cups) of au jus.

beef dip 10.jpg

I pulled the bone out and sliced the meat.

beef dip 7.jpg
beef dip 8.jpg

I put a cup of au jus on each plate and served the meat with slices of Emmenthal (Swiss) cheese. I also had some home made tiger sauce on the table. I put out Portuguese rolls. Sadly I didn't take any pictures as I was busy with my guests but here are some pictures of a left over dip I had for lunch the next day.

beef dip 11.jpg

beef dip 12.jpg

This is a favourite beef dip around here. They guests like it and it makes a great meal.

Disco

Attachments

• beef dip 1.jpg
    beef dip 1.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Ashamed of you disco .. thought we was friends and yet never invited to dinner ... points to you again ,, another homerun ..

Ashamed of you disco .. thought we was friends and yet never invited to dinner ... points to you again ,, another homerun ..
Har! Friends never need an invite. Just head on over! Thanks for the point.

Nice looking chuckie there disco. I'm about to do the same thing only SV at the end, brand new experiment for me.

Points on your au jus dip !!!!

Nice looking chuckie there disco. I'm about to do the same thing only SV at the end, brand new experiment for me.

Points on your au jus dip !!!!
Thanks. You should look at Chef Jimmy J's original au jus recipe, it fancier than mine. I hope to see a post as to how you do the SV.

Disco,
Thank you for making the recipe easier on your southern neighbors. This sounds like a real winner! I will give this one a try real soon. I know what that smack in the back of the head is like...
Craig

Thanks, Craig. Fortunately I don't have much brain to damage.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky