• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Chub Bologna

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Cant get the 5lb chubs down here. Got this one at ingles in GA.

IMG_5254.JPG

For me its easier to slice for smoked bologna sammies, instead of smoking the whole chub.
IMG_5257.JPG

In zip bag and into the freezer.
IMG_5258.JPG

MJB05615

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 12, 2018
I can only get the small Chubs here in Ga, like 2-3 lbs. I haven't checked Ingles though. Wallyworls, Publix, Kroger, but not Ingles. Thanks for the info Rick.

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020
Next time I get a chub of bologna I'll slice it before smoking. Bet its a whole different thing from smoking it whole.
Jim

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Used to have the Bar-S brand in 5# here for most of my life. But 5 years ago or so they were no where to be had. So I started making my own.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined May 14, 2016
For me its easier to slice for smoked bologna sammies, instead of smoking the whole chub.
I totally agree. I mostly do double-thick for smoking, then splitting for two sammiches.

FWIW - Walmart deli can hand cut some to my desired double-thick slice.

chopsaw

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 14, 2013
Ate it that way when I was a kid . Grilled not smoked . I love the stuff .
I go to the meat market and have him cut a pound or so from the chub . Then slice myself .

Colin1230

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 18, 2021
Growing up my mom would fry bologna with a big spoon full of mashed potatoes and cheese on top. Great meal for four growing boys. I still love bologna, never had it smoked. I'm sure it's delicious.

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
I love to smoke baloney and the best way I have found is to slice it thick and then smoke it on the pellet smoker, a rub on it and less than 2 hours its done, vac pack in 5-6 slices for a weeks worth of lunch.

Dabutcher

Joined May 31, 2021
And a shirt sleeve to wipe your mouth.
Jim
And a shirt sleeve to wipe your mouth.
Jim
Its really hard to find meat departments that sell it in the chub , maybe in the deli departments but it crazy expensive there . I used to sell a ton of it in chunks and it was inexpensive .I had one gal come in every week and buy a 3# chunk for sunday dinner , I think she baked it . Somehow it tastes alot better than the pre pak sliced. Im going try it grilled , sounds pretty good

JLeonard

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Apr 17, 2020

D Dabutcher check this out.

Jim

DRKsmoking

Smoking Fanatic
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 27, 2021
We still get the large rolls of bologna here . We slice it thick, some times just plain on bread
with mustard . Or fried in cast iron pan with fried eggs and my mustard pickles on the side .....heaven
Will have to try to smoke it next time also

David

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
I make my own bologna, so I can do what I want with it. But lately I have been getting lazy & may go your route Rick. It sure would be a lot easier.
Al

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.