Chicharron

Discussion in 'Pork' started by tropics, Apr 7, 2015.

1. tropics

tropics Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Chicharron

3 lbs. pork skin I used belly for this batch.Boiled Belly for 1 1/2 hrs it  was very soft,let sit in hot water for 30min.to cool refrigerated til the following day. Scaped fat off, then into the dehydrator for 20 plus hrs.Had to do this in 2 batches. Frying I used my small deep fryer,they come out great whole family loved them.

Did not take pics in the dehydrator  Nice bag of rinds.

Thanks for looking

We held our Easter Dinner on Sat Kids have to travel 

2. chef willie

chef willie Master of the Pit OTBS Member

tip of the hat to you sir......that's a lot of work. I investigated the process a while back while doing a picnic & decided, for me, it was going to be a PITA so decided against it.....well done.....Willie

3. humdinger

humdinger Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Yum. Boy those look fresh and white as snow! What's on the plate next to them, jalapenos?

4. tropics

They are a small sweet pepper stuffed,with Jalapeno Jack cheese. Breaded and fried.

5. tropics

Chef Willie its not as bad as it sounds,my wife even gave me a hand.Thanks for the kind words.

6. tropics

We make the Jalapeno Poppers the same way

7. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow, what a great project. Kudos.

Disco

8. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I'm to lazy to make them,but you can send me some of yours!:biggrin: They look great!!

9. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Nice , I love Pig Skins . .  [​IMG]

10. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Richie, that is awesome ! I just bought a couple whole shoulders with skin on & hoping to try some rinds.... Hope it works & looks as great as yours look ! Nice thread !

11. tropics

I bought some Belly Skin to make more for the party. Decided to try trimming more fat before boiling. It works nice sharp knife almost like I was skinning a fish LOL

All dried ready for the fryer.

Thanks for looking

12. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Mmmmmm............ Pig skins!  ZOMG I want some now! 'Course since I am late to the party I guess they are all gone by now.

13. Nice ,    Looks Great I love those things     [​IMG]

Gary

14. Tropics,

Now im craving chicharon! That would be so good with spiced vinegar (suka!)

Yum and topped on hot white rice with some dried fish!

15. tropics

Gary Thanks for the point. These things are addictive,once the skin has been dried, I keep some in the fridge and fry when I want.

16. tropics

Carlo maybe on top of some Sigsig 

17. Oh man now i am really hungry!

18. foamheart

That sure looks like a lot of work when you can do cracklins ..............

19. tropics

Kevin Thanks for the point the cracklins look like more oil splattering. I need an outdoor kitchen. LOL

20. foamheart

LOL.... believe it or not, you'll no doubt soon have one if ya keep hanging out around here.

Starts with the pit/smoker, next its the project reefer to hold your meats, then you get tired of Ziploc bags allowing your meats to freezer burn, then it will be bacon with which comes the slicer, you start thinking how nice it would be to have it all in one place. Then you've gotta have a sink, then its water. Once ya get water you'll decide how nice it will be to have a bathroom so you don't have to go insyde tracking up Momma's house. Then comes that next freezer. Heck we didn't even talk sausage making. Then the race is own. Remember whoever has the must stuff wins when you get to the pearly gates. LOL

Ya know I would have thought so also, but I wore shorts and I didn't splatter at all. I woulda noticed too! ROFLMAO