Pulled Bacon -- Cured BBQ Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Schwarzwald Metzger

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 16, 2021
I regularly make my own bacon, it's cheaper than the stuff in the super market and is bespoke -- tailored to my my liking.

I typically buy two 10 lbs pork bellies cut them in half and cure them. After 10-14 days, I pull them out of the refrigerator and cold smoke them on my Yoder YS 640 with a tube of whatever pellets I have on hand. After a cold smoke, I looked at one of the halves and thought "why don't I just hot smoke this to an internal temp of 203, and make this into pulled bacon".... The results were a rich decadent cured pork belly absolutely exploding with flavor.

I'm not saying I invented anything, but I hadn't ever seen this done, and figured it would work based off of the easy pull of tubers that come from a whole hog roast.

Ingredients used for pork belly cure.
- Pork belly
- 2%, Kosher salt
- 1% Brown Sugar
- .25% Cure 1

Ingredients used for rub.
- 1% Turbinado
- .5% Paprika
- .5% 16 mesh Black pepper
- .25% Juniper berries ground
- .25% Celery seed
- .25% Crushed red pepper
- .15% Garlic powder

I first dry cured the bacon for 14 days, took them out of the refrigerator and soaked them in cold water for 1 hour.

IMG_20230304_102923626.jpg

I then cold smoked the cured bellies, never exceeding 100 degrees F until I remembered they were on the smoker... About 8 hours.

IMG_20230305_105014327.jpg

After pulling them, I threw one back on the smoker with a newly applied rub to get it's hot smoke at 225.

IMG_20231014_113200194.jpg

After hitting an internal of 175, I wrapped in foil and increased yoder temp to 275 until the belly hit 203, that's when I removed it from the grill.

I let it rest uncovered for about 20 minutes then pulled it discarding excess fat.

IMG_20231014_153958470.jpg

If I had a better camera, I probably could have made this look appetizing, but I don't, however you should note how long the tubers were that I pulled from the belly... So long in fact, I had to chop them in half.

I served them on a pulled BLT sandwich-- minus tomatoes, because tomatoes not in ketchup or sauce form are gross. I figured my BBQ sauce was a sufficient tomato replacement.

IMG_20231014_151203727.jpg

IMG_20231014_151225157.jpg

I am making this again, and had no issues with the process or ingredients used. I highly recommend this to any pulled pork / bacon lover. The pulled bacon tastes even better in a frying pan.

I'm still trying to think of a name for it, and a region to associate it with... For now I'll just say Cleveland BBQ.

Thanks for looking.

Brad

Last edited:
Looks great a new twist on bacon...nice! I am with you on tomatoes, no matter how often I try them I just don't like them.
I've tried so hard to like 'em.... I just can't... The only thing more gross than a ripe tomato are raisins, gross.

• Haha
Reactions: clifish
Congrats on the feature ride.

Pulled bacon has me thinking.
I don't find raw belly for a bargain these days.
Butt is finally back under $2 so that is my choice to grind or cure.
My favorite summer delicacy is a ripe tomato.
Have you tried sprinkling a little sugar and a drizzle of vinegar?
Yeah, not a raisin fan

Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Congrats on the feature ride.

Pulled bacon has me thinking.
I don't find raw belly for a bargain these days.
Butt is finally back under $2 so that is my choice to grind or cure.
My favorite summer delicacy is a ripe tomato.
Have you tried sprinkling a little sugar and a drizzle of vinegar?
Yeah, not a raisin fan
Man I've tried everything to like tomatoes. It's a texture thing.
I find my bellies at Costco, it's weird more places don't carry them.

Fantastic idea and execution Brad. That sammy looks terrific, and congrats on the spinner-ride.

Point for sure
Chris

Pulled double smoked ham is as close as I've come.
View attachment 679425
That looks amazing, and the penetration of the nitrites looks like you injected?
I'm going to wet cure and inject into the pork butt next time because even after 21 days it hadn't fully penetrated due to bone, membranes, fat and various other connective tissues within the butt.

Brad

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky