Cajun Influenced Rice & Gravy ~ thirdeye Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
bnRTmV1.jpg

In the South, one of the comfort foods is just called rice and gravy. It always has a side meat, which can be almost anything. The standard drill is to brown your meat, for example some pork chops, in a roaster, add the "trinity" of onion, celery and bell pepper, and cook everything down adding liquid as you go. After a good while the meat gets fall-apart tender as a gravy forms. It is served over rice and seasoned accordingly.

My twist was different, but my result was similar. I started by injecting then smoking a brisket flat, seasoned with a Cajun rub and Montreal Steak rub. Components of the "trinity" were in both rubs, as were some other seasonings.

FqW7RWf.jpg

2VIg1gU.jpg
gs6lc2Z.jpg
Once the brisket got some good color I started my BGE and used my vintage Magnalite roaster to saute some onions, then added celery and green peppers. These aluminum roasters are very popular, and some just call them a Cajun roaster. Production in Ohio stopped in 1970, but they can still be found at garage sales. A couple of other companies cast an almost clone.
jGYupUh.jpg
Next the brisket goes in atop the veggies, and with the lid on it's about like wrapping in foil or doing a foil pan finish.
E8PKv0Q.jpg
GMAIbgu.jpg
Once it tendered up, I removed the veggies and some broth to de-fat and further reduce to an actual gravy, meanwhile the brisket rested. I almost over did the tenderness and the flavor was great. It still sliced fine, but did not take much to shred.
avQmOrK.jpg
MaMvXbO.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words. This kind of meal easily falls into the Sunday night pot roast category, which I guess we all grew up on, but a hint of smoke on brisket comes out different than the same cook with a chuck roast.

I got to give that a shot. We make Pot Roast frequently but not with a Cajun flavor profile. You're an Inspiration...JJ

I got to give that a shot. We make Pot Roast frequently but not with a Cajun flavor profile. You're an Inspiration...JJ

Thanks for the kind words. Most regional foods are pretty inspiring, and that's part of the fun. Cajun and Creole food is no exception. I wonder how much the atmosphere contributes to the overall experience.
lvEWbRN.jpg

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky