First Time Salisbury Steak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
After seeing indaswamp indaswamp 's post, I had to give it a try. Not too bad for my first endeavor but I have no doubt that it is no where near as good as indaswamp indaswamp 's as he is a gourmet and I am just a cook.

I think I would add some Kitchen Bouquet to darken up the gravy a bit next time, and add a bit more beef broth to loosen up the gravy a bit, and definitely go for more onions.

IMG_2264.JPG

A plate with some Lundberg Wild Blend rice
IMG_2265.jpg

The doc has me using no or as little salt as possible (even though my BP has been damned good lately!) so I cooked this with no salt, BUT, I had to sprinkle some on the plate to get the flavor to pop.

Not so bad but definitely want to try again to perfect it!

Looks good to me!!! No need to add kitchen bouquet just make your roux darker that will do ot

Looks darn good to me! But good job on wanting to improve it... gives you an excuse to make it again soon!

Ryan

Reactions: Retired Spook
Looks great man! It's one of my all time favorite foods. So far, fingers crossed I don't have to limit salt. I have read that if you are ok with MSG you can use a bit of that in your dishes to help offset the lack of salt.

Looks really good to me! On one of Keith Salisbury cooks he mentioned this guy. I followed it last couple times I made it. I love this guy and been watching him ever since Keith mentioned him.

Looks really good to me! On one of Keith Salisbury cooks he mentioned this guy. I followed it last couple times I made it. I love this guy and been watching him ever since Keith mentioned him.

That is the video I used as a go-by - he's a very good cook!

I think that I became impatient and I rushed the onions, I made a bit too much roux, and of course, omitting salt had a large impact on the end result - but it was still pretty good, I just have to fine tune things next time - and not be in such a rush to eat some!

You can use some Better Than Bouillon or Lipton French Onion Soup mix to up the flavor profile. Both contain sodium so be careful but then again you're not making it everyday.
FYI, I have HBP too and my docs don't hassle me about my sodium intake. They give me grief about my weight. Might want to audition for a sodium loving doctor.:emoji_wink:

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Looks great! We tried a dozen or so times to make SS and have given up. All that we did was tasty and I suppose I could make an argument they were all "better" but all were totally missing that SS flavor that we all like in the frozen Banquet entrees. Would love to know what it is. HOLY...

Just looked up the label. The stuff is mostly chicken! Mix of chicken/pork/and beef. That kinda makes sense to me.

Check out potassium chloride AKA salt substitute for you guys rocking low sodium. Not only a flavor thing but potassium binds with sodium, removing it from your body. win win.
https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/healthy-eating/eat-smart/sodium/potassium

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky