Burnt Ends & Pastrami Bites in a race against the weather

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
I went out today to pick up a brisket, going to make some pastrami for friends and family members to hand out at Christmas.

I picked up a full packer and separated the point from the flat, going to cure the flat and I'm turning the point into burnt ends. Figured while I am doing burnt ends

Separated and trimmed

Corned beef point

Sorry some pics are lacking, I'm in a race against a big storm that is on the way. It's a huge one and many of you are likely feeling it right now in the states you live in, I have about 5 hours left to get these done.

Running the smoker at 275. Made a quick rub with chipotle powder, garlic, kosher salt, black pepper, coriander, brown sugar, white pepper and mustard seed. Coated brisket point with olive oil and rub, coated corned beef point with chipotle mustard and added more white pepper and mustard seed with crushed bay leaf to the mix.

Smoking over oak, corned beef point just hitting the heat

One hour in, adding water to the pan so I snapped a quick pic.

Weather:
Chance of rain 100%
Rain showers this evening with a wind driven heavy rain developing overnight. Low 36F. E winds at 10 to 15 mph, increasing to 20 to 30 mph. 1 to 2 inches of rain expected.

And that is my race against the weather dilemma.

Wish me luck
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Last edited:
Hurry Jim Hurry the storms a coming. Man everything looks good as always. So keep up the good work and we will see you later.

Had an extra jalapeno in the fridge so figured now would as good a time to use it as any. No cream cheese so I chopped up some smoked cheddar, smoked beer brats, mixed it with some Guinness, bread crumbs, onion powder and garlic powder.

Topped with more smoked cheddar and some ground garlic/pepper and in to the smoker.
Points are at 155 now, going to wrap as soon as they hit 160, bring to 190-200 then cube and put back in as long as I can. 3 hours would be nice but I'll take what I can get.

Last edited:
Looks Great Jim...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

What did you do with the left over Guinness...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Nice lookin things there.

Hope you make it. We had a wind burst in the middle of the night that I thought blew the roof off the house, scared the you know what out of me. They were predicting 50 - 60 mile per hour winds.

Hope you make it man, smoke on!

FIU, everything looks amazing, as always. And you have one of my favorite beers. I knew there was a reason I liked you. LOL

Ron. Did I just read that correctly? Your roof was blown off? First the drive thru wall ordeal, then the leaky pipes in the ceiling, now the roof? Or lack thereof?

Whats going on down their in NM
icon_mrgreen.gif

Thanks everyone, the weather keeps changing percentages of time to start and such so who knows...

Got the smoker cranked to 300 for the time being.

Last edited:
Holly ****e Muslims........That looks terrific..I can honestly tell you that I could smell that when I first opened the page...Man alive Im starving for sure now

Just got done rolling it over there with a flashlight.
Added more coals, gonna set up some chairs and maybe a game of Monopoly or something. Now that I got that thing moved (seems a lot further when wheeling a hot smoker) and the smoke is flowing nice and thinly then flowing smoke sounds like a good idea to me.
Gotta grab the camera, go on out to keep an eye on it.
Be back with results withing a few hours or so, I hope
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Jim, That looks every bit as delicious as I expected from you. Great job fighting that storm. Oh, that storm that's hitting you now, is still about halfway through Iowa. So prepare for the long haul if you get everything we're getting. We've got about 7" of snow down and another 7" to go is the recent prediction. Wish it was only rain. Don't have to shovel rain.

points.gif
for making me drool. I'm all out of pastrami.

Thanks everyone.
Wish I could send you some when it's ready Jay, if I leave it unwrapped at least it would stay cold with the weather you're getting right now
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif

Glad we are only getting rain from it.
And talking about rain, not a drop yet!!! Hanging out in the shed thingy smoking and no rain. But it is coming.
Just came back inside to grab the sauces to mix with bites and ends so I'll report back in shortly.

Have 2 hours to go.

So still no rain but "weather.LIES"
tongue.gif
says 100% chance in the next hour.

ABts were ok, nothing to write home about though...

Temporary smoke area, my Brother playing his ukulele while we tend the fire.

Just added the sauces, next hour I'll stir them and snap a pic, then only one hour to go after that, I hope...
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Excellent stuff, Jim...keep up the fire! Hang in there and make that smoker rock for you.....what's a little freezing-rain among friends
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky