Burnt Ends & Pastrami Bites in a race against the weather

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well it just now finally started raining, smoker is feeling good (we talk to each other) and meat is looking good.
One more hour and I'll try one to be sure but getting close...

I'm hoping for just rain but if the temp drops much lower it will start freezing...

So the rain is really coming down now.
Pulled the bites and ends off about an hour ago, let rest half an hour.
As I was afraid of they were a bit on the tougher side.
Not exactly tough but not the melt in your mouth buttery texture I normally expect from them.
Oh well, a reheat in foil at 250 for a few hours will complete the job tomorrow for lunch.

Gotta go close up shop and then time for bed.

they look wonderful
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Now that has to be one of the most and hardest smokes that I have seen since I have been here Jim.
points.gif
You have to get some points for this one the ends look good nice and crispy and the moving down the hill to he shed dogging the rain drops (now that would have been a kodak momement) and then to finish with a rain storm like that one coming. Well you can really say you worke for this one.

Thanks
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

Gonna reheat them in the oven for dinner tonight, 2-3 hours wrapped in foil, they should be perfectly broken down and ready to consume.

Heading out the door right now, was going to start curing the flat for pastrami but I ran out of paprika last night so gotta go pick up some more.

Made a batch of my chipotle rub, have been meaning to for a while now.
Added that to the ends and bites and wrapped them in foil and into a 250 oven for 3 hours. No worries about them drying out, they break down and become flavorful pieces of buttery melting bits of goodness. They may look a bit dark, and thy kind of were but not burnt by any means.
Had them with some buttered white bread and garlic chipotle mashed taters.

Man, everytime I see these I keep thinking I'll have to sacrifice a point...but then, how would it be a sacrifice when you can make a treat like that?!?!?!? LOL!

Nice!

Eric

Thanks guys.
They were so tasty I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about them.

Went to inject my flat last night. I had removed it the day before so I could make up the burnt ends and by the time I got to the flat it had started to turn on me
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

Nothing worse than losing $20 worth of meat for something stupid like that.

Man..."Fire it up" you really know how to cook..sure looks great.. those Jalapeños are looking mighty fine. Seriously making me drool on that one.

Sure am sorry about you losing meat like that..I know it isn't my fault, but sorry just the same. It is a shame..no one likes to lose some "Soon-to-be" good vittles..

rhage2

Great job Jim....Reminds me i gotta get you some olive wood and a nice sample of my chipotles up too yah....I owe you for that wonderful Peach wood...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky