Bucket Marinade

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

michiganbushman

Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
I just sliced up 12 lbs of jerky strips. Used eye of round and cut it with my new jerky slicer. That things is great.

I had a seasoning mix from LEM for jerky. The pouch was for 25 lbs of meat.
My plan is to mix the entire ouch with the recommended amount of water and then dump that into my marinade bucket and add the meat and stir.

There will be twice the amount of marinade needed. My question is do you think this is ok? Or should I dump half of the water/mix out?

I never have any luck saving the leftover seasonings and cure so I have no issues with "wasting' it. I only bought the big pouch because I had to have it for today to smoke tomorrow. My Christmas vacation is running short on time.

I would think it would be fine as it is mixed with the right amount of water and the part that is not being used is suspended in the extra water. It's not as if it is all touching the meat at one time.

Thought?

If you do everything by weight, you can't go wrong.

Example:

Recipe calls for 2.5 grams of cure #1 per kg of meat
I have 1 kg of meat and 2kg of water
Cure is 3 * 2.5 or 7.5 grams cure #1 for 3 kg mass (meat and water)
This will give you an equilibrium brine.

With the LEM seasoning, you have 517 grams of seasoning mix for 25 lbs (11.4 kg) of meat.

This equates to using 22 grams of LEM seasoning mix per kg of weight.

So, if you have 3 kg of meat and are brining it in 5 kg of water, you use 8 * 22 = 176 grams of LEM seasoning mix for your brine.

Hope this helps....

JC :emoji_cat:

Reactions: michiganbushman
So are you going to smoke it the entire time or dehydrate and then smoke? Either way remember its then cured meat, so allow it a bit of smoothing time and it will taste a lot better.

Sounds to me like you got it all figured out. Will be looking for some pictures of success. Oh, you still have my address to send some and I'll test it for you, wouldn't want you to mess up and get folks sick.....LOL

So are you going to smoke it the entire time or dehydrate and then smoke? Either way remember its then cured meat, so allow it a bit of smoothing time and it will taste a lot better.

Sounds to me like you got it all figured out. Will be looking for some pictures of success. Oh, you still have my address to send some and I'll test it for you, wouldn't want you to mess up and get folks sick.....LOL
It will be smoked the entire time. I usually start at around 100 degrees for a little bit to dry the outsides and then I'll hit it with smoke after that for at least 3-4 hours around 150-160 then just heat till I have the desired finish temp or feel. It's hard to probe jerky for temps when it is so thin.

Smoothing time? I'm assuming rest time?
I usually cut the heat and open the cabinet door to get the majority of the heat out and then close it back up and let it cool to outside temps, which at this time is in the 30's.
I made the mistake a long time ago of tossing it in a ziploc and it was a wet mess the next day.

Reactions: foamheart
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky