Brine for Corned Beef / Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Polka

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Glenwood, Upshur Co., Tx
Howdy All

I am looking for a brining formula for corned beef that is using ground spices and weights in grams or ounces -- not whole spices, or spoons.

I don't have the whole spices, and since I only have ground spices, certainly need to find equivalents from whole to ground -- the usual = cloves, allspice, black pepper mostly.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

R

can't help you with what your looking for but i used pop's brine with pickling spices added comes out good.

Tough request. You need to pick a Recipe, most small batch are Whole Spice by Spoonfuls, then find conversion charts that give Volume Whole to Volume Ground. Next you would have to search out Ground Spice Volume to Gram Charts. This can be done easily enough, but it will be time consuming.
I'll toss in my fave recipe in case you just want to get a jar on Generic Whole Pickling Spice. Sorry I can't be more help...JJ

Killer Corned Beef Brine

1Gal Cold Water
1/2C Morton Kosher Salt (3/4C if Diamond Chrystal)
1/4C Pickling Spice
1C Diced Onion
4 Cloves Garlic, chopped.
1Ea Carrot, diced
1Ea Rib Celery, diced
1T Fresh Thyme Leaves (1tsp Dry)
2T Brown Sugar
1T Cure #1

Toast the Pickling Spices in a dry 2 Qt Pot over medium heat until fragrant.
Add 1Qt of the Water and the remaining EXCEPT the Cure #1.
Bring to a Boil and simmer 5 minutes.
Add this " Tea " to the remaining 3QT Cold Water in a food safe container and stir in the 1T Cure #1.
Measure the thickness of the meat at the thickest point.
Brine One Day for each 1/2 inch of thickness of the thickest part.
Soak completely submerged, weight down with a bag of water.
Everything may fit in a Ziplock 2 Gallon Bag if you don't have a Food Safe Container.
Place Bag in another container or roasting pan in case of leaks.

To 1 gallon of cold water, add 1oz. {heaping tablespoon) Cure #1, ½ cup salt, ½ cup brown sugar, ½ cup plain sugar, 2 tablespoons pickling spices. Stir together and place meat in mixture, If meat is over 2" thick, inject with mixture every 2" with brine, DO NOT HEAT! Just stir together. Let soak 10 - 14 days, remove from curing brine and smoke to an internal of over 145° internal, then pull and cool, and boil, roast, slice, and serve with potatoes, cabbage onions and carrots or any vegetables. (parsnips, leeks, turnips, amd so on.)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky