Breakfast Lasagna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Ok, folks you all know by now that I love Italian food (has nothing to do with the fact that I am Italian....).

So, when Sue said she found a recipe for Breakfast Lasagna we just had to try it. Instead of sticking to the recipe the first time around, Sue made some creative modifications to pull in ingredients we had on hand and, of course, something smoked...here goes.

Breakfast Lasagna
3 no-cook lasagna noodles
3 bacon strips, diced
2 Tbsp diced sweet onion
2 Tbsp diced sweet red pepper
4 eggs
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp AP Flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded cheese – we used home smoked medium cheddar; can use cheddar, pepper jack, swiss or mozz
3 tablespoons cottage cheese

• Soak lasagna noodles in warm water for 20 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 350°.
  • Cook bacon, onion and red pepper in skillet over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Remove 2 tablespoons bacon mixture and drain on paper towels; reserve.
  • Whisk eggs, and to skillet with remaining onion/pepper/bacon mixture, cook and stir until cooked through.
  • Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Add milk and Parmesan cheese, cook and stir until thickened about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese until smooth.
  • Drain noodles on paper towels.
  • Spread 3 tablespoons cheese sauce over bottom of a greased loaf pan. Layer with one lasagna noodle, 3 tablespoons cheese sauce, half the egg mixture and another lasagna noodle. Layer with 3 tablespoons cheese sauce, cottage cheese and remaining egg mixture. Top with third noodle, remaining cheese sauce and reserved bacon mixture.
  • Bake until bubbly, 10-15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
Here it is just out of the oven and cooling off.

IMG_20200411_083235960.jpg

Plated gooey goodness.

IMG_20200411_084255355.jpg

It was It was rich and decadent and very tasty, and we will be making this again and will do step by steps.

Now Sue said it needed spinach but of course she thinks everything needs spinach....even our smoothies. But that is where I drew the line.

We are having fun experimenting with new recipes with ingredients that we have on hand. Thanks for lookin'.

John

Man that looks good. I may have to try that out sometime! I like breakfast anytime of day so possibly could do this for dinner one night.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
John...that is so cool, so creative, and so amazing looking!! You got the cogs turning now. Count on me making some derivative of this in the near future. Breakfast for tomorrow already planned but next week it may go on the agenda. Beautiful meal my friend and please share the accolades with Sue.

Hmmm...how to do this in cast iron,
Robert

That looks great! A nice fill ya up breakfast.

Ryan
Ryan, thank you for the like and kind words.

And yes it filled us right up.

That looks great! Two of my favorite meals in one...Italian and breakfast.
Thanks Blues!

Looks delicious! Very nice... I would have a piece... but If I had it for breakfast - I would skip lunch and dinner all together!!!! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:
Thanks Push for the like, we called it brunch so nothing until dinner now.

John

Now Sue said it needed spinach but of course she thinks everything needs spinach....even our smoothies. But that is where I drew the line.

I happen to agree with Sue, spinach would make that excellent breakfast fabamundo. Nicely done John.

Point for sure
Chris

BTW: we've done something similar except we rolled ours up like a yodel, We also added a little sausage and of course spinach.

Nice and hearty breakfast lasagna John. I could eat that any time of the day!

Looks delish! Like!!
Thanks Joe for the like, and yes it delicious!

Man that looks good. I may have to try that out sometime! I like breakfast anytime of day so possibly could do this for dinner one night.
Thanks Travis, it would make an excellent dinner.

John...that is so cool, so creative, and so amazing looking!! You got the cogs turning now. Count on me making some derivative of this in the near future. Breakfast for tomorrow already planned but next week it may go on the agenda. Beautiful meal my friend and please share the accolades with Sue.

Hmmm...how to do this in cast iron,
Robert
Thanks for the like Robert, and I bet you could do it on the grill and cover it with the pizza dome.

Looks really good. Nice take on breakfast!
Thanks JCAP!

John

Yup looks great ! I too have to agree , just enough spinach to add flavor , and some color .
Nice work John .

Looks mighty tasty from where I'm Sitting

Gary
Thanks Gary!

I happen to agree with Sue, spinach would make that excellent breakfast fabamundo. Nicely done John.

Point for sure
Chris

BTW: we've done something similar except we rolled ours up like a yodel, We also added a little sausage and of course spinach.
Thanks Chris for the like! And it's funny you mention sausage as Sue and I said that would be in the next one (with some damn spinach I guess). :emoji_laughing:

That looks to be deliciously rich John, I'd be loving a plate of that, Like! RAY
Thanks Ray for the like, and you are right it was pretty rich....yummmm

Yup looks great ! I too have to agree , just enough spinach to add flavor , and some color .
Nice work John .
Thanks Chopsaw! And you and Chris are right, I will cave on the spinach next time.

Looks like a great breakfast to me.

Thanks to you and Sue, for the recipe.

You are most welcome jack! And thanks for the like.

Let us know how it comes out!

John

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky