Work Christmas Party Pot Luck:

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Dive Bar Casanova

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 3, 2021

Staff at the wifes hospital does a Christmas Eve Pot luck and of course with the ugly sweater tradition.

Wife drew the bring a vegetable slip so she"asked" me to come up with a Green Bean Casserole.
I found and made this one and it's really good:

I used fresh green beans and cream and avoided the boring mushroom soup as recommended.

PREP TIME 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME 50minutes
I made double the below, should serve 16:

• INGREDIENTS

2 lbs. fresh green beans or frozen

• 6 slices bacon thinly sliced and chopped
  • 1 white onion thinly sliced
  • 1 cup diced mushrooms
  • 4 garlic cloves minced
  • 1/2 stick butter divided
  • 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 ½ cups shredded pepper jack cheese
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 2 ounce jar diced pimentos
  • ¾ cup bread crumbs
  • ½ cup fried onions

INSTRUCTIONS​

• If using fresh green beans, blanch in boiling water for 3 to 4 minutes, then remove from the pot and cover with ice water and set aside.
  • In a large cast iron skillet over medium high heat add the bacon and cook for about 2 minutes, then add the onions, continue to cook until the onions are soft, stirring occasionally. Strain the contents of the skillet in a bowl and set aside.
  • Return to the skillet with the left over bacon grease over medium low heat. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until they are brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add the contents of the skillet to the bacon and onions bowl.
  • Return to the skillet and melt the ½ stick of butter over low heat. Whisk in the flour and whisk constantly until smooth. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until it thickens.
  • Stir in the cream and the bacon mixture. Stir in the cheese and Worcestershire sauce. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the cheese is melted and smooth. The mixture should be the consistency of a thick gravy. If the mixture is too thick, you can add a little more cream or chicken broth to thin if needed.
  • Stir the bacon and mushroom mixture and pimentos into the sauce and mix well.
  • Place the green beans in 9x11-inch inch casserole dish and pour the contents of the skillet over the top and smooth it out with a spoon.
  • Sprinkle the top with the bread crumbs and fried onions. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F or until bubbling. Serve warm.
    IMG_3402.jpeg
    IMG_3407.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky