Poor Mans Soup (Hamburger soup)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

KBFlyer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 7, 2018
Ontario Canada
2 cups egg noodles, or your favorite sturdy pasta

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, diced

1 cup sliced celery

1 cup sliced carrots

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound lean ground beef

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1/2 teaspoon basil

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

Salt and pepper, to taste

1 envelope dry onion soup mix

3 cups beef broth

1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes

1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain and reserve.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook until they start to soften. Add the garlic and cook another minute.

Add the ground beef and continue to cook, breaking the beef up as it cooks. Cook until the beef is browned and the vegetables are soft. Drain any fat, if needed.

Stir in the oregano, basil, and seasoned salt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir for 30 seconds, then stir in the onion soup mix.

Add the beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Let the soup come to a bubble, then lower the temperature and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes.

Add the noodles into the soup, let it heat through for about 5 minutes, then serve topped with the parmesan cheese.

Add to it as you see fit. I added Mushrooms and a lot of other spices. Mostly just a mix of different garlic and spice blends I had on hand.
Was totally Ahsome. :emoji_thumbsup:

I just winged it on the size I was making. All depends on your supple of ingrediants. LOL

20240207_105816.jpg
20240207_145202.jpg
20240207_153308.jpg
20240207_160331.jpg
20240207_160503.jpg
20240207_160608.jpg

Last edited:
What is a Throwdown? Oh wait thats when my dog gets what I threw down on the floor LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Very nice indeed! I love a bowl of soup anytime . Have a bunch of chicken bones saved up and plan to make chicken noodle soup tomorrow. Your's looks great.

Reactions: KBFlyer
2 cups egg noodles, or your favorite sturdy pasta

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, diced

1 cup sliced celery

1 cup sliced carrots

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound lean ground beef

1/2 teaspoon oregano

1/2 teaspoon basil

1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt

Salt and pepper, to taste

1 envelope dry onion soup mix

3 cups beef broth

1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes

1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt generously. Add the noodles and cook until al dente. Drain and reserve.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and cook until they start to soften. Add the garlic and cook another minute.

Add the ground beef and continue to cook, breaking the beef up as it cooks. Cook until the beef is browned and the vegetables are soft. Drain any fat, if needed.

Stir in the oregano, basil, and seasoned salt. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir for 30 seconds, then stir in the onion soup mix.

Add the beef broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and soy sauce. Let the soup come to a bubble, then lower the temperature and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes.

Add the noodles into the soup, let it heat through for about 5 minutes, then serve topped with the parmesan cheese.

Add to it as you see fit. I added Mushrooms and a lot of other spices. Mostly just a mix of different garlic and spice blends I had on hand.
Was totally Ahsome. :emoji_thumbsup:

I just winged it on the size I was making. All depends on your supple of ingrediants. LOL

View attachment 688037View attachment 688038View attachment 688039View attachment 688040View attachment 688041View attachment 688066
Very similar to a dish I make that we call "Hobo Stew". No recipe, but it always comes out tasting very close to the same, which is fantastic stuff with some good crusty sourdough bread and Irish whole fat butter.
Nice looking soup!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky