Breakfast Lasagna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ok, folks you all know by now that I love Italian food (has nothing to do with the fact that I am Italian....).

So, when Sue said she found a recipe for Breakfast Lasagna we just had to try it. Instead of sticking to the recipe the first time around, Sue made some creative modifications to pull in ingredients we had on hand and, of course, something smoked...here goes.

Breakfast Lasagna
3 no-cook lasagna noodles
3 bacon strips, diced
2 Tbsp diced sweet onion
2 Tbsp diced sweet red pepper
4 eggs
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp AP Flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded cheese – we used home smoked medium cheddar; can use cheddar, pepper jack, swiss or mozz
3 tablespoons cottage cheese

• Soak lasagna noodles in warm water for 20 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 350°.
  • Cook bacon, onion and red pepper in skillet over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Remove 2 tablespoons bacon mixture and drain on paper towels; reserve.
  • Whisk eggs, and to skillet with remaining onion/pepper/bacon mixture, cook and stir until cooked through.
  • Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Add milk and Parmesan cheese, cook and stir until thickened about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese until smooth.
  • Drain noodles on paper towels.
  • Spread 3 tablespoons cheese sauce over bottom of a greased loaf pan. Layer with one lasagna noodle, 3 tablespoons cheese sauce, half the egg mixture and another lasagna noodle. Layer with 3 tablespoons cheese sauce, cottage cheese and remaining egg mixture. Top with third noodle, remaining cheese sauce and reserved bacon mixture.
  • Bake until bubbly, 10-15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes before cutting. Enjoy!
Here it is just out of the oven and cooling off.

View attachment 439642

Plated gooey goodness.

View attachment 439643

It was It was rich and decadent and very tasty, and we will be making this again and will do step by steps.

Now Sue said it needed spinach but of course she thinks everything needs spinach....even our smoothies. But that is where I drew the line.

We are having fun experimenting with new recipes with ingredients that we have on hand. Thanks for lookin'.

John
Looks great John!! I by the addition of spinach would be pretty tasty too!

Hey John,

Thanks for checking in. I haven't gotten back to the grocery for the spinach. Plan to do that tomorrow morning. (Old farts hour at the store, tomorrow)

It might be Friday before I get to make the recipe.

What do you think of adding some garlic to the sauce? (I'm a big fan of garlic).

Hey John,

Thanks for checking in. I haven't gotten back to the grocery for the spinach. Plan to do that tomorrow morning. (Old farts hour at the store, tomorrow)

It might be Friday before I get to make the recipe.

What do you think of adding some garlic to the sauce? (I'm a big fan of garlic).
Jack, sorry I missed this.

I would stick to the recipe the first time and then try modifications in future cooks once you have a baseline.

Personally I would not add garlic, even though I do like it, just seems odd on eggs.

Reactions: one eyed jack
Jack, sorry I missed this.

I would stick to the recipe the first time and then try modifications in future cooks once you have a baseline.

Personally I would not add garlic, even though I do like it, just seems odd on eggs.

No problem, at all, John. Thanks a lot for answering my question about the Spinach.

I am not much of a cook, much less even very competent in the kitchen, bit I got-er-done.

Won't say how long it took me.

My interpretations of recipe's always take longer than they are supposed to, and they tend to grow.

I didn't see your post regarding the garlic before I had the Lasagna in the oven. (It doesn't seem to have hurt it, though).

My batch turned out a little runny but still will hold it's shape on a plate.

I give the recipe 8 out of 10 stars and I blame myself for it not coming out a 10. Good stuff!

Just out of oven .

DSC07680.jpg

Cooled down and ready to serve.

DSC07679.jpg

Plated up. (Buddy's treats in the background.)

DSC07688.jpg

Wow a great idea there guy and yours Jack looks great too. Dang my to do list is running out of paper.

Warren

Thanks Warren. John and his mate get all the credit. It was their recipe and they made it easy to follow.

Looks really good from here Jack!

Glad you liked it!

LIKE!

John

Thanks for the like John. It's at least half yours.

Thanks again for your help, also.

John, what a delicious looking meal. Will definitely make it. My wife was reading this post with me and there will be spinach in ours. SWMBO will be obeyed!

She's reading over my shoulder, laughing, and asked what SWMBO means. I told her, she laughed harder...and called me a dumbass!

I'll share a secret I learned LONG ago on how to keep lasagna stacked and together...use uncooked, or un-rehydrated noodles. Trust me, there's enough liquid in the cheese, eggs, and milk to hydrate the noodles and make them tender. Might have to cook it a little longer, but give it a try.

Or I'll try it first and post the results here. I think I've got some noodles left over from the last time I made lasagna. If not, my next store run is this coming Thursday.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
John, what a delicious looking meal. Will definitely make it. My wife was reading this post with me and there will be spinach in ours. SWMBO will be obeyed!

She's reading over my shoulder, laughing, and asked what SWMBO means. I told her, she laughed harder...and called me a dumbass!

I'll share a secret I learned LONG ago on how to keep lasagna stacked and together...use uncooked, or un-rehydrated noodles. Trust me, there's enough liquid in the cheese, eggs, and milk to hydrate the noodles and make them tender. Might have to cook it a little longer, but give it a try.

Or I'll try it first and post the results here. I think I've got some noodles left over from the last time I made lasagna. If not, my next store run is this coming Thursday.

Hi Ray,

John calls for "no bake" Lasagna noodles and say's to soak them for 20 minutes in warm water.

I bought "Oven ready", hoping that meant no-bake, and soaked them. They were just very slightly under done after baking, but; I probably could have baked the Lasagna another 5 minutes, which would have made a difference.

This sounds great. I feel inspired to play with ingredients to meet my families taste. Maybe Sausage Gravy instead of Cheese Sauce in a Layer...JJ

Reactions: chopsaw
This sounds great. I feel inspired to play with ingredients to meet my families taste. Maybe Sausage Gravy instead of Cheese Sauce in a Layer...JJ

Do it, Chef. I'd love to hear about your take on this recipe.

Your not talking about doing away with the cheese sauce, entirely, are you?

NO WAY! In fact, I was thinking about making a Bechamel, dividing it and making a Ham layer with Gruyere Sauce and Cheese. And a Bacon layer with Cheddar Sauce and Cheese. Then the middle layer of chunky Sausage Gravy. My Wife, Bev, suggested trying Crepes instead of Pasta when I showed her this post...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky