Best bacon to use for smoking appetizers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hschaefer1027

Original poster
Dec 24, 2016
Despite the fact that any bacon is great, does anyone have any recommendations on which bacon type (thick vs thin) and/or brand is best for wrapping around small apps that will end up on the smoker? 

My goal is to use bacon that has at least 50% meat / fat ratio so there is some bacon left to eat after they come off the smoker... :-)

Get the thinnest bacon you can find.

I usually use Oscar Meyer. Don't want to sacrifice my homemade bacon for appetizers.

If the bacon is thick it will not cook all the way in the smoker.

Al

Pre cook the bacon...  maybe 25-50% cooked...   It wiil shrink and toughen up a bit.. making it easy to wrap etc....

I cook it on a wire rack on a sheet pan....  i the oven at 350 ish, for about 10 minutes ish...

I'm with Dave precook the bacon. For most apps I don't even wrap them anymore just lay a hunk on top and feel better about how many I eat that way.

Second on the Oscar Meyer. I use half a slice to wrap around half a Jalapeno(escabeche) stuffed with cream cheese and a shrimp. 20-25 minutes at 400 gives good results.

Anything thicker than the OM should be partially cooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky