refrigerator went toes up

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Any recommendations on a brand NOT to buy, or vice versa.
Currently a Whirlpool side by side with door water/ice. It's been a pain in my A@# since about year two.
Inside lights quit, with a $125 repair number for one light assembly. Last night the Kid left the door open overnight. it never recovered after closing in the morning.. Freezer is at zero, frige side at 50. Down here it's hard enough to get repair person that speaks English, much less that I trust. I will never buy another Whirlpool. it's standard size side by side 25-ish ft volume. going to the two box houses in the morning.
thanks for any input... living out of coolers and garage freezer til i get delivery.

Reactions: JLeonard
We only use GE profile appliances. Dishwasher was just replaced after a short 5 years but that’s pretty common. Fridge is high end with a keurig, ice and water in the door. Cost around $6k but zero issues. Stove hasn’t had an issue

IMG_3681.jpeg
IMG_3682.jpeg
IMG_3683.jpeg

Odd, I have been warned away from LG by an appliance repair guy.
We have a Whirlpool side by side here in Florida and it is a POS. Fridge works ok, but the ice maker needs constant reset. The shelf space on a side by side sucks.
We have a Maytag (also Whirlpool) back north but it is a dutch door fridge with bottom freezer drawer. No problems in almost 10 years.
Stay away from the in door shit. It adds failure points and reduces fridge or freezer space.

We only use GE profile appliances. Dishwasher was just replaced after a short 5 years but that’s pretty common. Fridge is high end with a keurig, ice and water in the door. Cost around $6k but zero issues. Stove hasn’t had an issue

View attachment 691835View attachment 691836View attachment 691837
Side note, not to derail, love the tile countertops. Is that just regular old tile?

I've given up on appliances. All are disposable now. I don't even care if the brand is the same as everything else. Whatever is cheapest at American Freight (formerly Sear's scratch and dent outlet) is what I roll with. I did buy the last fridge at Lowes since no American Freight deals were to be had within 30 miles (there are 3-4 in that radius for me) in black. I'm squeamish about hauling a tall fridge very far in my truck bed. Washers, dryer, dishwashers and stoves, I'll haul from here to Alaska.

Reactions: JLinza and JLeonard
Side note, not to derail, love the tile countertops. Is that just regular old tile?

I've given up on appliances. All are disposable now. I don't even care if the brand is the same as everything else. Whatever is cheapest at American Freight (formerly Sear's scratch and dent outlet) is what I roll with. I did buy the last fridge at Lowes since no American Freight deals were to be had within 30 miles (there are 3-4 in that radius for me) in black. I'm squeamish about hauling a tall fridge very far in my truck bed. Washers, dryer, dishwashers and stoves, I'll haul from here to Alaska.
Yes countertops are regular tile. Painted mint green and sealed

This guy is the king of appliance reviews online. Here is his video on fridges from about a year ago.

What's the BEST Fridge to Buy? The Truth Will SURPRISE You!

We upgraded our kitchen about a year ago and replaced all the appliances with Samsung except for the refrigeration which is a 15 year old LG side by side. It is hard to find one now that has the capacity this one has.

kitchen_remodel_003.jpg

The most failures now are the ice makers in the popular split top refrigerators with the bottom freezer. The ice maker in the fridge section is a huge problem since it really doesn't belong there.

We had a Whirlpool Gold fridge for 14 years. During those years it had to be repaired:
Ice Maker replaced 3 times, Main motor/compressor replaced 2 times. POS right? Last year we got an LG 27 ft side by side. Ice + water in door, and it makes Craft Ice in a separate unit. So far it's been great. Got it at Best Buy for $1599. Very happy so far. We've had good luck with LG TV's too.

Reactions: fxsales1959
I've a lot a years in new construction and I've seen many appliances installed and I've continued to work with these clients many years after the fact and the one brand I've seen replaced more than any other is LG, especially their fridges and televisions.

Unplug the fridge for 24 hours leave the doors open , if you look in the fridge side on the left about 2/3rd of the way down you will see a vent, that is the return air and has probably frosted up from the door being left open, retired fridge repair tec, fixed more than 1 lol

Unplug the fridge for 24 hours leave the doors open , if you look in the fridge side on the left about 2/3rd of the way down you will see a vent, that is the return air and has probably frosted up from the door being left open, retired fridge repair tec, fixed more than 1 lol

I would think that you would have strong suggestions then on Pro's and Con's ...

Nothing is made like it use to be, I have put 300-400 compressors in LG fridges in the last 6 years, any freezer on the bottom will have more problems than a sxs or top mount, GE is no longer the product it was, they were bought by a Korean company 4-5 years ago. Lot of issues with most of them these days so buy a extended warranty to keep from paying a lot of $$$

Reactions: MJB05615
We have a Whirlpool, with the freezer on the bottom. Had it 3 years now.

I do preventative maintenance. Twice a year I blow out and vacuum the bottom of the fridge where all the dust will collect on the cooling tubes. I would think this helps the longevity. If not, one more year closer to assisted living. Banjo man out.

I had a fridge with the dutch doors on top and the freezer on bottom go tits up on me a couple of years ago right at thanksgiving. Went to lowes and found a basic old fashioned freezer on top fridge on bottom Maytag. No water/ice dispenser. We used a counter top ice maker anyway as the ice maker had gone out on the fancy $4000 fridge a year after we got it. Think I paid less than a grand for the new one. Just a basic fridge. Been real happy with it since I got it.

Jim

thank you. my air to fridge is on the top right. very low airflow coming out. Was thinking hair dryer on it. going to look for new in a minute.

if you put your hand over the vent in the fresh food section and open the freezer door and you get more air flow the return air is stopped up, if it stays the same the evap coil is frozen up

Reactions: chopsaw
I hink I answered below. my duh. the top right vent has very little air blowing in. was going to hair dryer it.
Hopefully that’s a fast easy fix for you. Also my last firings would from time to time freeze up the cooling coils with ice because the heating element that makes the fridge frost less would go out. If the coils get ice build up the unit won’t cool well at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky