Beef Short Ribs with Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would go for 3-2-1.

Not because I like well done beef.

Rather because short ribs can be really tough if the connective tissue is not broken down.

For less than well done beef, I would select another cut.

For a strong and satisfying beef flavor, the short ribs or oxtails are hard to beat!

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
We must get some different short ribs??  I find a 2- 2- .5 or a 2.5- 1.5- .5, seem to work fine for us. Of course removing the membrane helps. When it comes to Dino Bones, or Long Bone short ribs, I can pretty much grill them and they are quite tender. That is pretty much Prime Rib.  Has to be or my wife wouldn't eat them.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:
Ok.. My first BSR is finished. The meal was fabulous and yes, I do have qview to share. 

Leading off:

w/ Jeff's Rub:

At the 2hr mark:

Finished!

Well that's it. I'm a believer now in long bone short ribs. Got a really good price on them at the Farmer's Market here in York, PA. $3.20/lb. I relied on my Mav 732's to monitor the temps. The MES 40" 2nd Gen did a good job overall and managed to get a very basic smoke ring as a bonus. I still have 6 more large bones in the freezer to use at a later date. After eating these things, I think I got it right. Went with a 2-2-1.5 on the timing.. Thanks everybody for your help and guidance!

Last edited:
Well, a big difference between back ribs and short ribs.

Also, the chuck is right next to the rib section.

Get the first couple of cuts in front of the rib and the chuck can be a nice animal.

Go more forward, and it ain't much like the rib.

YMMV!

Well, a big difference between back ribs and short ribs.

Also, the chuck is right next to the rib section.

Get the first couple of cuts in front of the rib and the chuck can be a nice animal.

Go more forward, and it ain't much like the rib.

YMMV!

We rarely if ever, see these anymore. I got them for a song the first time, now they are very expensive. Heck even the "short ribs" have gotten shorter.
th_crybaby2.gif

I'm doing long bone BSR's this weekend in my MES. I plan on using Hickory for smoke mixed with some crushed lump charcoal. Any opinion on Oak for this? For seasonings, I'm thinking the KISS method this time out (Sea Salt/Pepper/Garlic) although using Jeff's rub is very tempting. Planned cooking temp will be 225F, minimal water in the pan, and the 2-2-1 method depending on how much pullback I see on the bones. This is my first attempt at long bones so any critique on my planning would be greatly appreciated. Do you seperate or cook the entire BSR at once, seperate then serve? Pan below the meat perhaps to catch the au jus? 
Oak is one of my go to's for beef. Gives a nice color to the meat. Try to use Red Oak if you can, but white will do. Personally 2-2-1 is too much for my taste since I like beef on the medium to medium rare side. Usually no more than 4 1/2 hour for me @ 225 to 250º. Mine usually came separated to begin with.

That oak option was great! I should have gone higher on the temps though as not enough of the fat rendered out as I would have liked. Perhaps I need to trim a bit better. Oak will be my go to wood for beef smoking in the future. I had to go the McGuyver route to cute these long bones so I used my angle grinder to get it done. 
icon_lol.gif

I'm anxious to see what Oak will do with a whole brisket. Next time with BSR's, i'm going higher and longer on the cook temps. Gonna give 3-2-1 a try because I need more fat rendering w/o having the meat smoked to jerky. No water in the pan as well and a cook temp of 250F.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky