Beef Short Ribs with Q-view

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Those look great.

You mentioned they were not as tender as you would like them. I have never done beef short ribs in a smoker, many times in the oven. I was thinking of trying a hybrid version using the smoker. So here are my thoughts of what I was going to try...

Season with S&P and into a smoker at 250 till they reach 160. Was thinking of having some of the vegetables and other non liquids in a pan with a cake cooling rack over them and putting the short ribs there. Sort of the same set up I did for my brisket a few weeks back. My external hard drive crashed or I would attach a picture.

Next step into the pan with the vegetables that were under the short ribs and add some preheated braising liquid. Cover and cook till they reach 190. Remove from liquid.

Final cooking step.... Coat with a glaze of some sort, was thinking a sweet BBQ with a seasoning mixture to include some herbs. Finish in the smoker like you would burnt ends. I am not one to waste the yummy drippings, but i am kind of on the fence with this one. Do I make an aus jus or do I make a sauce. Not sure on that one.

I think the method would work. But what are your thoughts?

It sounds like you can't go wrong either way with that method. The liquid would really help these out I think, and the vegetable idea is great. I like the burnt ends thing, although I have never tried it. Personally, with that setup I would make a beef and mushroom sauce. Saucing them up with a good bbq sauce would be equally tempting. The only answer is to try both!

Looks awesome. Ill be making my own short ribs tomorrow in time for the football game.  Going to try mine with Jeff's rub.  Im guessing your temps were around 225-250 during the 5 hours?

Yes the temp was mostly 220-225. I would definitely foil them though, they can be kind of tough. I will be doing two hours in the foil next time I do them. Hope yours turn out well, let us know!

icon_cool.gif

Great looking ribs but next time see if you can find the long bone short ribs. Now thoses are the real dino bones.
Those bad boys can be grilled also.

Man those ribs look great!! I have never wrote anybody but those ribs really deserve it. I'm gonna try some very soon. Did you wrap them in foil in the last two hours are what? Great job man. :drool

Those grilled ribs look awesome! I will have to do some like that pretty soon. The mojo idea in the pan looks great also. I really like that flavor. Next time I smoke these, they will indeed get a couple hours in the foil, I'm wanting to see how tender I can get them.

Those grilled ribs look awesome! I will have to do some like that pretty soon. The mojo idea in the pan looks great also. I really like that flavor. Next time I smoke these, they will indeed get a couple hours in the foil, I'm wanting to see how tender I can get them.
The mojo/pan method I do not foil. Just rotate them around until they look done. Usually no more than 4 1/2 hours. I have sometimes removed them and placed them on the grates for the last 1/2 hour.

If I find some beef back single ribs, I will marinade in mojo then put some Jeffs on them and smoke like a 2.5- 1.5- .5 and will wrap them in foil. So many ways to do the Beefies !!

I'm doing long bone BSR's this weekend in my MES. I plan on using Hickory for smoke mixed with some crushed lump charcoal. Any opinion on Oak for this? For seasonings, I'm thinking the KISS method this time out (Sea Salt/Pepper/Garlic) although using Jeff's rub is very tempting. Planned cooking temp will be 225F, minimal water in the pan, and the 2-2-1 method depending on how much pullback I see on the bones. This is my first attempt at long bones so any critique on my planning would be greatly appreciated. Do you seperate or cook the entire BSR at once, seperate then serve? Pan below the meat perhaps to catch the au jus? 

Last edited:
I haven't tried short ribs on the smoker.  We like them braised, but smoked is certainly on my list.

Yours looked great.

As to tenderness, I do think some foil time would be in the picture.

I do have to question your use of liquid, though?

My rule?  If I am drinking brandy, I put beer on the meat.  If I am drinking beer, I put brandy on the meat. 

Absolutely no need for a man to cut his drinking time short!

Others have their views, however? 
biggrin.gif

Good luck and good smoking.

I like the brandy idea! I am always wanting to put butter on beef also, maybe a mix of the two would be appropriate.

I'm doing long bone BSR's this weekend in my MES. I plan on using Hickory for smoke mixed with some crushed lump charcoal. Any opinion on Oak for this? For seasonings, I'm thinking the KISS method this time out (Sea Salt/Pepper/Garlic) although using Jeff's rub is very tempting. Planned cooking temp will be 225F, minimal water in the pan, and the 2-2-1 method depending on how much pullback I see on the bones. This is my first attempt at long bones so any critique on my planning would be greatly appreciated. Do you seperate or cook the entire BSR at once, seperate then serve? Pan below the meat perhaps to catch the au jus? 
Oak is one of my go to's for beef. Gives a nice color to the meat. Try to use Red Oak if you can, but white will do. Personally 2-2-1 is too much for my taste since I like beef on the medium to medium rare side. Usually no more than 4 1/2 hour for me @ 225 to 250º. Mine usually came separated to begin with.

We need a moderator to clean up this thread!

Brandy and butter on beef?  With hickory in the picture?

There otta be a law against anything this good.

Don't give Washington any ideas!

Good luck and good smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky