Barbecue - What is it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

PolishDeli

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
Interested in everyone's opinion on this.
When you say "barbecue," what are you actually talking about?

I asked friends and family. Noone seems to agree on criteria.

Pulled pork, ribs, brisket. I think most people would call that barbecue.
What about smoked sausages?
Burgers and hotdogs on a gas grill?
Rotisserie chicken?
Anything cooked outside over fire and smoke?
Must be low-n-slow?
Does it need a certain type of sauce or rub?
...etc...
?

Barbecue (aka Bar-B-Que, Barbeque, BBQ): Meat cooked in the lightly smoky dry heat of wood coals or charcoal, at temperatures of 225° to 275°, using an indirect or very raised direct technique which allow fats to render, meat to become tender while preserving its natural juices and picking-up flavors from any any number of seasonings or spices, and which is sometimes basted or sauced during the process.

Barbecuist: Someone skilled in the art of barbecue.

I think most folks call BBQ just about anything cooked outside on just about any grill or smoker, or open fire!
Al

Yeah, I think that is how most people think of BBQ. They go to barbecue at their friends or neighbors and often get burgers, dogs, steaks etc. In recent years though more people have been getting smokers and I think more people are tending to come to see BBQ as low and slow though.

I agree. Growing up in NJ, we didn't know from smoked meats in my area. Burgers, Dogs and Steaks on the Grill was BBQ. Once I moved to Ga, and got into smoking, I realized that was considered BBQ, and stuff cooked on the Grill was Grilled.
Confusing at the least.

Barbecue is a noun, not a verb. It is the result of a long, slow, low temp (most of the time) cooking process. It is what you eat, not what you do to create the food you eat.

Or so i'm told,
Robert
Screenshot_20210205_161731.png
Screenshot_20210205_161754.png

Technically it's a noun and a verb 😉😁

Reactions: PolishDeli
Interested in everyone's opinion on this.
When you say "barbecue," what are you actually talking about?
Burgers and hotdogs on a gas grill?
That is the furthest from barbecue (barbeque, bbq) that I can imagine. I don't even consider it grilling. Comparable to frying inside on the gas range. I had one for over 20 years because the critters didn't like charcoal or wood when they were young and the apartment when first married only allowed gas grills on the deck.

IMO BBQ is a method of cooking not confined to any particular piece of meat
You danced around and didn't define the "method".

That is the furthest from barbecue (barbeque, bbq) that I can imagine. I don't even consider it grilling. Comparable to frying inside on the gas range. I had one for over 20 years because the critters didn't like charcoal or wood when they were young and the apartment when first married only allowed gas grills on the deck.

You danced around and didn't define the "method".
My response was mostly in part to the different cuts of meat being called bbq. A brisket can't be called bbq just because it's a brisket. You can put it in a crockpot but the end result won't be bbq. It's the long slow "method" on a smoker that makes it bbq

Rainy day and I'm googling the origins of BBQ - a lot of info out there but this was a quick and interesting read

So much for the BBQ Pistol ................ 🔫

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky