OK I Admit It - I'm a Coffee Snob. Who Else??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am a Community Coffee fan. Dark roast. Far as I know nothing has changed with how they roast their beans.
Maybe I'll try them again. I got a whole order that was medium roast at best. Not the classic dark, shiny, beans I loved for years. When I called to ask about it, a decade's long shipping customer, they were indifferent, at best.

Just opened one of the bags from the last order I got. Just not the right appearance, smell, etc.

IMG_0120.JPG

Compare to the SB I referenced earlier. This is what the Community used to look like.

IMG_0121.JPG

May have been a mistake packaging....put the wrong beans in the bag maybe??? The roasts are very consistent. I find that very odd...must have been some kind of a mistake. The whole state of Louisiana would riot if they changed the dark roast to a lighter medium!!!! LOL!!!!!

May have been a mistake packaging....put the wrong beans in the bag maybe??? The roasts are very consistent. I find that very odd...must have been some kind of a mistake. The whole state of Louisiana would riot if they changed the dark roast to a lighter medium!!!! LOL!!!!!
Man, I hope you're right. I have drunk Community since I was kid in Kenner. I had a Peanuts characters mug at 4 years old lol. I'll have to order some and see.

Reactions: seenred
We have a Moccamaster Technivorm as well. Makes a great pot of coffee. Bought it years ago as a birthday present to my wife who is a long time coffee snob. Pricey but if it died tomorrow I would just order another one.
For a while now we have been buying Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee and it is outstanding. If you look up the price of that stuff you will think I have lost my mind but we are lucky. There is a guy just down the road that is from Jamaica and has deep family ties in the coffee business there. His business is a small commercial roasting facility. He imports the beans in 120 pound bags and roasts daily. 99% of his business its through the internet and it sells for $40-$70 a pound. Fortunately he sells to locals for $25 a pound and $20 if you're a regular. It's good stuff.

This is all I drink. Whole bean medium roast, grind fresh each morning.

Attachments

• IMG_4342.jpg
    IMG_4342.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: seenred
I will admit I am addicted to good coffee. I do get off cheap buying coffee beans at a chain called Grocery Outlet. They have a place they get beans from different places which tend to be smaller and not pretty but is $10 for 2lb bags. Drinking something from Honduras now after finishing a bag of Kenyan coffee.

I want the best-tasting coffee with the least amount of work.

I think I achieved this.

1. I try to buy really good beans. I have two local places that are head and shoulders above the quality of Starbucks, Peets, etc., but if I can't get local, I buy this:​
from Amazon.​
2. I use a burr grinder, not necessarily because it is going to make the coffee taste better (although I think it may do that), but because it is very fast, and very repeatable. I use the Baratza Virtuoso, and prefer the old models (which they sometimes still sell through their refurbish program).​
3. I brew using an Aeropress. I make a single shot and then add hot water (i.e., Café Americano). I weigh the coffee on a miniature scale and use about 10 grams of ground coffee. Many people find this too weak, but I like it.​
4. I have an instant hot water dispenser which I keep at 185 degrees. This gives me a really good temperature for making smooth coffee. I found that true boiling water made the coffee too bitter.​

With that as background, here's how I make coffee:

1. I press the timed grind on the Baratza;​
2. I weigh the container to make sure I have exactly the right amount of coffee and adjust if necessary (ground coffee + Baratza container = 100 grams);​
3. I pour that into the Aeropress;​
4. I stick the Aeropress under the hot water dispenser and fill to the one shot level;​
5. I insert the plunger so no water leaks out until I'm ready to press, and I then wait 15-20 seconds (I clean two parts of the Aeropress while waiting);​
6. I then press (pull) the shot;​
7. Finally, I add hot water to get 6-7 ounces of coffee.​

It takes less than a minute, start to finish.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky