Bacon: Pros and Cons...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Dry or Wet Cured Bacon?

• Dry.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wet.

• No Preference.

• Make bacon? I just use precooked, microwave bacon...

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

artisanbeard

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Mountain City, GA.
Hey guys, I wanted to get your input on baconing (I think I just made that word up).

I have always used a dry cure to make bacon, but I know some are die-hard wet cure/brine baconers (another new word, 
biggrin.gif
 ) I wanted to know from y'all what the pros and cons are for each method. Why do you prefer one over the other? I put a poll on here, just to see what y'all like better...and for fun.

Thanks in advance for your input!

-Kyle (ArtisanBeard)

Dry cured hands down.

Flavour profile is great but over the top if it is cold smoked. Shelf life out strips brined cured which has a short shelf life. Not full of water hence the less shrinkage when cooking. Simple to make Sorter cooking time and that’s just a start 
icon_biggrin.gif

Both are good. Wet cure is super simple. Dry cure allows for more flavor variation...JJ

Kyle, morning....  I prefer to mix up cure #1 with salt and seasonings of choice.... thoroughly rub into the meat and store in the refer for the proper length of time, depending on the thickness of the hunk of meat......  Some moisture will be released from the meat due to the salt...  Better texture and flavor, in my opinion, using this method......  Dave

Thanks guys. Like I said, I have always done a dry rub cure (like Dave had referred to), but I've seen more and more people doing a wet brine and was wondering why. I guess it is just easier...but if you are going to take the time to make your own bacon, why not do it the way that gives best flavor, texture, etc.?

I have used both over the years.  But mainly now use brine method!  U can add anyflavor you like with brine.  Your imagination is about the limit on adding flavors!

Could you not add flavors to a dry cure also, or is it limited?
No it is not limited (adding flavours to dry cures) out of twelve different types that I produce (commercially, I’m a small producer) each week only two are wet (immersion) cured the rest are dry cured all with very distinct flavour profiles.

It has to be remembered that there will always be people who like their bacon be it wet cured or dry cured both are equally good if they are done right 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky