Cold Smoked bacon length of time vs danger zone.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

migraine

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 4, 2011
Sacramento, California
OK, this smoking bacon thing is all new to me and I have some confusion/questions...
I have read and watched some videos where the length of time varies so much that other than smoke intensity, where should I be concerned with having the bacon in the smoker to too long and making people sick
My understanding (am I wrong?) is that you cure meat to enable the meat from spoiling and do not to need to abide by the under 40*-over 140* rule.
There are many opinion that say only smoke for 3-4 hours, return to the fridge to cool down, and repeat as needed/wanted for more flavor
Others say(or insinuate) 4-8 hours or longer is safe since it's cured

Then there is the "hot" smoke at 200* and it takes less than 4 hours to bring the bacon to 145*, perfect for the 40*-140* rule.

Ideally, I would like a long smoke to get that intense flavor and then finish with a hot smoke to 145*. I just don't want to make people sick/dead, me included. My idea is to mimic the double smoke bacon you find in Germany/Europe that I feel in love with from Matterns Deli in Orange, Ca. and their Hungarian bacon(garlic and paprika coated) is my next goal...

If there is a thread or link to a better explanation, I would appreciate that or you can educated me here in this thread where I'm right/wrong.
Thanks in advance, Brian

BTW, my first cure is a wet brine from High Mountain BBB mix on boneless country style pork "ribs" I chose this for a cheap test run.
-Brian

Reactions: JLeonard
You are wise to ask questions and learn the process.
Traditional cold smoking takes place in temperatures below 80F and it’s purpose is a drying phase as well as adding smoke. Smoke sessions typically don’t last more than 5 hours then the meat needs to rest, but the process can go on for as long as 2 weeks. The 40-140 rule does not apply to meats that have cure #1 (the power of nitrite in food safety) but keep in mind not to exceed 80F really should keep it below 70F. Most people are happy with 2-3 smoke sessions of around 5 hours each. You should have nice color at that point. Then rest it in the fridge another 4-5 days to let the smoke even out and penetrate all the way through the meat. It’s a very old and tested process and is safe.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. I smoked it cold with out temps in the low 40s and once it hit 60*, I turned on the heat to 200* until it reached 145*.
It's now sitting in the refer firming up and I think it's more snacking meat than frying bacon. I used the HighMountainBBB mix and had to soak the the pieces for a few hours yesterday to cut back on the salt after doing a test fry. It taste wonderful but dryer than I'd like it, at least the thin pieces I carved up. I used some of my old stash of Todd's 100% cherry pellet since I ran out of apple. Now to find 100% true wood pellets in NorCal, no mixed blends or oils(that means you, Traeger...)
Happy-happy camper here. Tonight sounds like a good nite for bacon fried rice! Thanks, again, brian
Oh, I haven't been on here in a few years...I didn't realize it. Time flies when there's 6 surgeries/recovery involved. Today was a sad day to hear that this place lost a few of my idols. :~(

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. I smoked it cold with out temps in the low 40s and once it hit 60*, I turned on the heat to 200* until it reached 145*.
It's now sitting in the refer firming up and I think it's more snacking meat than frying bacon. I used the HighMountainBBB mix and had to soak the the pieces for a few hours yesterday to cut back on the salt after doing a test fry. It taste wonderful but dryer than I'd like it, at least the thin pieces I carved up. I used some of my old stash of Todd's 100% cherry pellet since I ran out of apple. Now to find 100% true wood pellets in NorCal, no mixed blends or oils(that means you, Traeger...)
Happy-happy camper here. Tonight sounds like a good nite for bacon fried rice! Thanks, again, brian
Oh, I haven't been on here in a few years...I didn't realize it. Time flies when there's 6 surgeries/recovery involved. Today was a sad day to hear that this place lost a few of my idols. :~(
Next time let’s mix up our own cure and control the salt percentage so that in the end it’s perfectly where we want it with no soak.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky