Are budget smokers any good ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
There have been a lot of good suggestions about sealing the chamber, adding mass or tuning plates, and running the offset with the vent open. The biggest issue I see with that model is that the only way to feed the fire is through the door on the top of the fire box thus allowing all of the smoke and heat to rise out of the top of the fire box and not flow through the chamber.

Fire is controlled by three things heat, fuel, and air. to control the heat you have to control one of the two other things. From my experience a vertical charcoal smoker like a Weber Smokey Mountain runs best when controlling air flow. The Minion method or a charcoal maze does this well. A stick fire like it sounds you are using works best by limiting fuel and allowing the fire to have as much air as possible. So typically you would open the chimney fully open and the side vent of the fire box would be fully open. This allows the smoke to flow through the cooking chamber.

I would consider widening and adding a door to the side of the fire box that is large enough to feed fuel to the fire and add fuel as needed to maintain the right quality of smoke and heat. Get a pair of fire gloves or a fire place tool kit to help manipulate the coals and grab your drink of choice and enjoy. Unless others have suggestions this is not really a set it and forget it setup but it makes some amazing BBQ and is a lot of fun.

I would spend half an hour and watch Aaron Franklin's episode on fire and smoke. It has a lot of good tips about using an offset smoker with sticks.
https://www.pbs.org/video/bbq-franklin-episode-5-fire-smoke/

Good luck and have a good time with your purchase.

Reactions: Tonyb835
Drilling a couple of small holes in the bottom of the firebox and smoke chamber will increase it's lifespan. You shouldn't lose any smoke, but it will allow condensation and any other moisture to drain. Get or make a cover for it, and keep it dry.
There is no reason to think an innexpensive pit can't produce some excellent barbeque. Learn as you go, keep notes, and enjoy the journey.
Since I want to keep my posts PG, I will paraphrase a quote from a friend and fellow smoker. " Barbeque is like kissing, the worst I ever had was still pretty good "

Reactions: Tonyb835 and drdon
when you drill holes any where in the smoker you loose control of the fire because you regulate the heat by fuel and air, all vents open will let the unit run as hot as it can which may be way to hot for lownslow cooks ,have fun and cardboard boxes have been used to smoke with and produce great food,$ of unit means nothing as folks either can do or cant.

Reactions: Tonyb835
Hi people thanks for all your advise. Unfortunately due to English weather and work I haven't had as much time to play as I'd like :( so I made a few mods this weekend. I added 2 better quality thermometers at rack level, sealed the holes that were in the back for the rack to sit in and lowered the chimney 3 inch. Tested it today with a small price if belly pork I had in the fridge but my main aim was to practice holding the heat at 275 f for 6 hours.( Turns out the supplied therm was around 60 degrees out) anyway it was challenging I won't lie I started with a charcoal base the messed around with diff size peice of oak. Enjoyed it ! Got to a stage where I was happy with the size prices of wood and got it holding steady at 275 for around 30 mins then I had to add more. Meat turned out ok too the only major issue I had was with the smoke, it wasn't burning clean ?? I was told it had less than 15 % moisture but hey ho I'll look into that. If anyone's made it to the bottom of this small essay and is still awake do you think I should extend the chimney stack now I've lowered it ? I'll post a few pics thanks

IMG_20190811_202042711.jpg
IMG_20190811_202049911.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky