Hanger Steak, Chicken, and Shrimp Taco Bar w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Last night we had family in town from the west coast that we haven't seen since we moved a little over a year ago. Well there were 17 of us and there are lots of allergies so Taco's it was as it was easy to do for a crowd and easy for the allergies.

Started around noon with prep. For the beef I used a cut of steak that I have never used before. Hanger Steak. I was at a local ranch's store that I get my tri tip from and they had Hanger Steak on sale so after googling uses for it I decided what the heck why not. I took some time to learn about Hanger steak and where it was from. Also learned how to process it which was interesting as well. Here is a video on it if your interested.

I failed to take pictures of after I butchered it. This was around 4lbs of meat after I butchered it down. Here it is in the marinade with pineapple juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and onion powder.
Screenshot 2023-11-04 095046.png

Then I took 6lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs and clean the fat off of it. Put it in a marinade with orange juice, limeade, cumin, garlic, chili powder, and onion powder. Here it is resting in a ziplock
Screenshot 2023-11-04 095205.png

After this I took the time to can a batch of BBQ sauce because I was doing a bunch of prep. Had the sauce at 150° then into the jars to seal up.
Screenshot 2023-11-04 095231.png

The plan was to eat around 630 so at 4pm I turned the pellet pooper on and set to 500°. Took the steak out about 430 and got them going. Here they are just starting to lay in the sauna.

Screenshot 2023-11-04 095252.png

Now on to the tanning bed

Screenshot 2023-11-04 095355.png

Pulled them off around 130 and put in the Sous Video to hold at 135° until 630 when I wanted to serve.

Next onto the Chicken Thighs. Took the smoker down to 300° and put the thighs on.

Screenshot 2023-11-04 095413.png

Had them on for about 20 minutes then turned the heat to 500° to add color. Its hard to see in this picture but in the sliced picture you will see the better color.

Everyone was here so we visited for a bit. About 6pm I turned the smoker back up to 500° to cook the shrimp. I had them thawed for a while then I coated with onion, cumin, garlic, and salt.

I couldn't find my skewers so I was trying to do them on the grate but after 2 fell thru I got the pizza grill pan that I used last time for the rest of them. Also I made a mango habanero sauce to baste the shrimp in. It was 1 habanero, 1/2c brown sugar, 1/4c white vinegar, 1 clove of garlic and 1 mango peeled and cubed. I used froze mangos.

Screenshot 2023-11-04 102611.png

Screenshot 2023-11-04 102558.png

Shrimp coming off after glazing

Screenshot 2023-11-04 095423.png

Here are the meats huddled up together

Screenshot 2023-11-04 095447.png

Here is the taco bar

Screenshot 2023-11-04 095500.png

Wife did the prep on the rest of the stuff. She also made refried beans and mexican rice. I forgot to grill the pineapples to go over the beef but it was ok without it.

I was very pleased and surprised with the Hanger Steak. The tenderness of it was awesome for tacos. Had a great chew to it but was easy to bite thru. Definitely will use again when I catch them on sale.

It was a great meal and we had a great time with our family.

Thanks for looking.

Looks like a great spread. I'll have one of each. Well, maybe seconds on the hanger.

The hanger steak is one of my favorite cuts. Sometimes called the hanging tender, it "hangs" off the diaphragm and is usually trimmed into 2 long strips. The hanger has a rich beefy flavor, texture like a flank steak, and tender like a tenderloin. There is only one per cow, so it is usually found only at specialty meat markets. It used to be known as the butcher's steak because the butcher would often take them home for himself.

I have a video of grilling hanger on a kettle (and picking a Reverend Gary Davis tune)

Reactions: Redicans
Between celiacs and vegetarians, we have found taco bars the way to please everyone. You have given me some new ideas, thanks for sharing the ingredients!

Last night we had family in town from the west coast that we haven't seen since we moved a little over a year ago. Well there were 17 of us and there are lots of allergies so Taco's it was as it was easy to do for a crowd and easy for the allergies.

Started around noon with prep. For the beef I used a cut of steak that I have never used before. Hanger Steak. I was at a local ranch's store that I get my tri tip from and they had Hanger Steak on sale so after googling uses for it I decided what the heck why not. I took some time to learn about Hanger steak and where it was from. Also learned how to process it which was interesting as well. Here is a video on it if your interested.

I failed to take pictures of after I butchered it. This was around 4lbs of meat after I butchered it down. Here it is in the marinade with pineapple juice, garlic, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and onion powder.
View attachment 680129

Then I took 6lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs and clean the fat off of it. Put it in a marinade with orange juice, limeade, cumin, garlic, chili powder, and onion powder. Here it is resting in a ziplock
View attachment 680130

After this I took the time to can a batch of BBQ sauce because I was doing a bunch of prep. Had the sauce at 150° then into the jars to seal up.
View attachment 680131

The plan was to eat around 630 so at 4pm I turned the pellet pooper on and set to 500°. Took the steak out about 430 and got them going. Here they are just starting to lay in the sauna.

View attachment 680132

Now on to the tanning bed

View attachment 680133

Pulled them off around 130 and put in the Sous Video to hold at 135° until 630 when I wanted to serve.

Next onto the Chicken Thighs. Took the smoker down to 300° and put the thighs on.

View attachment 680134

Had them on for about 20 minutes then turned the heat to 500° to add color. Its hard to see in this picture but in the sliced picture you will see the better color.

Everyone was here so we visited for a bit. About 6pm I turned the smoker back up to 500° to cook the shrimp. I had them thawed for a while then I coated with onion, cumin, garlic, and salt.

I couldn't find my skewers so I was trying to do them on the grate but after 2 fell thru I got the pizza grill pan that I used last time for the rest of them. Also I made a mango habanero sauce to baste the shrimp in. It was 1 habanero, 1/2c brown sugar, 1/4c white vinegar, 1 clove of garlic and 1 mango peeled and cubed. I used froze mangos.

View attachment 680139
View attachment 680138

Shrimp coming off after glazing

View attachment 680135

Here are the meats huddled up together

View attachment 680136

Here is the taco bar

View attachment 680137

Wife did the prep on the rest of the stuff. She also made refried beans and mexican rice. I forgot to grill the pineapples to go over the beef but it was ok without it.

I was very pleased and surprised with the Hanger Steak. The tenderness of it was awesome for tacos. Had a great chew to it but was easy to bite thru. Definitely will use again when I catch them on sale.

It was a great meal and we had a great time with our family.

Thanks for looking.

well done. now i want shrimp and can't have it (gout) also going to keep an eye on the hangar at the meat shop.

Looks awesome and a great way to make everybody happy with a meal they can eat

Wow what a spread! Everything looks so good!! I bet everyone was fully satisfied with full Bellies!!

Just gimme a plate of the fixings with ALL the meats piled on top. Great looking spread y'all laid out for family!

Jim

I'll have my tako with the works Brian. It all looks delicious. I can't believe you've been in Florida for over a year. Time flies.

Point for sure
Chris

What a spread Brian!
All that work & you still had time to take some quality photo’s!
I don’t have any food allergies, so I’d have to try them all!
Al

Reactions: bmudd14474
Absolutely outstanding Brian!! A truly fantastic feast that I'd be thrilled to sit down and enjoy. Very nice job sir and it sure is great seeing you more active recently. You bring a lot to the table and it's always fun to see your culinary endeavors.

Robert

That's an awesome looking feast Brian! I might have grabbed that platter of shrimp and ran... man do they look good! I just had a crumbled Dorito taco for supper last night... sure hit the spot.

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky