Char Broil's aquisition of other companies...a good thing for the consumer?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Trailboss60

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 21, 2019
Gilbert, Arizona
In the nineties, I bought a Bandera smoker made by New Braunfels, and it served me well, some time later that Char Broil acquired that company and I was not impressed by a "new model" I saw on a sales floor, the metal was much thinner than my older one.
My Bandera still works great, but I gifted it to my son in law...
Bandera.jpg

Eventually, it was time for me to move onto getting a new smoker and I was able to get a great deal on an OKJ Longhorn, that had all the mods done by the person selling it in Scottsdale, they had had it for years and appeared to be practically new. Heavy iron construction, and it had all the bells and whistles...best of all for $200.
OKJ1.jpg
OKJ2.jpg

OKJ3.jpg

Today while shopping at Scheels in Chandler, I saw a OKJ Highland, and was not impressed by the thin metal construction...
I tried culling through some articles using Google to confirm what I think is going on, but so many of the sites start off as an advertisement for the product, and sprinkled through the articles are one-click options to purchase a unit… the financial reasons to allow this to take place must be pretty enticing.

Overall, I am getting more cynical of online reviews going forward, I think the best places to get reviews are using the search box on forums of a given hobby to get to honest opinions.

I have been a member here for quite awhile, but I rarely have time to get on smoking forums, just kind of wondering if there is a general consensus in the community as to what my suspicions are?

I hear you. I looked for a while at offsets in my price range. The OKJ's just seemed very flimsy when looking at floor models in Lowes or HD. Ended up getting a Chargriller Grand Champ XD. I am very happy with it but if they could have increased the thickness by another 1/16 to 1/8" it would be a game changer for this smoker but then the price would have probably been out of my range.

I live in Hawaii and none were available locally but HD shipped it to my local store for free and that was what made my decision for me. Your Longhorn looks like a great rig, sure you are enjoying that!! Yeah it looks practically brand new!

Thank you Redicans… You live in a beautiful place, but yeah the costs sometimes shipping to our brothers in Hi and Ak can really bump up the price!

Glad to hear that Char Broil was able to get you a reasonably priced solid unit.

Reactions: Redicans
Thanks Trailboss60! Yeah I was looking at higher end smokers but the shipping was crazy. Basically doubled the cost of any smoker I was looking at, which placed them out of my range big time. The Grand Camp is a solid smoker and I am very pleased with it. I turn out some great meals with it and that is all that maters really!

Reactions: Trailboss60
I get what you're saying. On-line reviews are not what they use to be. The internet is now almost totally commercial.

This also points out the problem with AI . I used Bing's AI, that they now call " Co-pilot " to ask about OKJ Highland smokers. And it just went to all of the review sites and picked out some info. So its the commercial review sites feeding the AI results. Worthless

Copilot

The Oklahoma Joe’s Highland smoker is a popular choice, especially for beginners. Here are some key points about this smoker:
  1. Quality and Design: Oklahoma Joe’s products are known for their quality and thoughtful design. The Highland smoker is no exception. It’s an offset smoker that comes in two models: the Original and the Reverse-Flow version.
  2. Unboxing and Assembly: The unboxing and assembly process is straightforward. The packaging is well-organized, and the instruction manual is easy to follow. Assembly takes around 30 minutes, and having a second person to help with certain steps is recommended.
  3. Cooking Space: The Highland offers ample cooking space, making it suitable for large families or gatherings. It also features a spacious bottom shelf for storing firewood or utensils.
  4. Performance: Users have reported positive results from their cooks on the Highland. Whether you’re smoking brisket, tri-tip, or other meats, this smoker delivers consistent performance.
  5. Affordability: The Highland is priced at around $300-$350, making it an excellent value for the features it offers. Comparable smokers can cost much more.
In summary, if you’re looking for a super affordable offset smoker or if you’re a beginner, the Oklahoma Joe’s Highland is a fantastic choice. It combines quality, performance, and affordability, making it a great addition to your backyard cooking arsenal123. 🌟🔥

I get what you're saying. On-line reviews are not what they use to be. The internet is now almost totally commercial.

This also points out the problem with AI . I used Bing's AI, that they now call " Co-pilot " to ask about OKJ Highland smokers. And it just went to all of the review sites and picked out some info. So its the commercial review sites feeding the AI results. Worthless
yeah online reviews are totally worthless. Mostly "compensated" reviewers. Like others, I'd rather go to forums and get real user reviews.

Jim

Forums like this will become invaluable also, because they have an archive. I don't do Facebook, but I'm told there's no archive of past info. Or if there is, its hard to search.

At one time Youtube vids were a good source for real info from real people, but they've now become highly commercialized. Social Media Influencer is actually a job title now. We use to call them salesmen.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky