Aloha from the beautiful island of Oahu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daz

Original poster
Mar 27, 2019
Hi all, my name is Daz and I live in Honolulu. I stumbled upon this forum on google search. In the state of hawaii we love smoking! So 4 years ago I bought my first Akorn 22" Kamado, totally messed up my first cook, jumped on google, found Amazingribs.com, and everything else is history. I ended up making my own grill controller, went on four HPBExpo tradeshows and won Vesta Awards Finalist in 2018 with it. I'd like to be more involved with the smoking community to promote my state-of-art controller and to hear feedbacks for products improvement.
I love surfing, spearfishing and BBQ at the beach, everything we do here is around the ocean.
Here is a song from a local artist, this is how we do it here!

Aloha. Interesting that that song sounds more Caribbean than what I think of as Hawaiian.

Welcome to the site happy to have ya join up

Chris

Aloha. Interesting that that song sounds more Caribbean than what I think of as Hawaiian.
Yes, it's called "Jawaian", a mix of Reggae, Roots and R&B. Traditional Hawaiian music was more about natural beauties, many written by early missionaries. Then came along Don Ho and his peers, they covered songs from the mainland w/ Ukulele and Aloha shirt. After that it was Peter Moon who started a new wave of local songs with focus on day to day struggles of the islanders. Every kids at the beach here can play uku and sing, while they cook out on a grill.

Welcome to SMF!
I took the link out of your signature, it's not allowed unless you are a paying member of this site.
Which would be a premium membership, that would also block all the ads.
Al

done! I also emailed through the contact us page yesterday inquiring about forum sponsorship. thanks!

Welcome Daz
I Was on Oahu about 8 years before you were born.
I went directly from Vietnam to Hawaii, and spent 54 weeks there.

Bear

Welcome Daz
I Was on Oahu about 8 years before you were born.
I went directly from Vietnam to Hawaii, and spent 54 weeks there.

Bear
Howzit! Braddahs must have been smoking all day back then!
I got a neighbor here who also went the Vietnam war. He was an electrician in the Navy and got injured when the gorillas "walked the mortars" onto their base.

Hi Daz,
Hmm, I wonder if that was our base (Dong Tam).
VC walked mortars in & hit our main ammo dump of 1,000,000 pounds of Ammo.
We had more Navy guys wounded than Army, because the Navy was situated closer to the Ammo Dump.

Bear

Wow, Small world. My neighbor (His name is Mark) responded "What a memory, July 31 1967 to July 31 1968 at Dong Tam" He was a electrician servicing the patrol boats there.

Hi Daz,
Hmm, I wonder if that was our base (Dong Tam).
VC walked mortars in & hit our main ammo dump of 1,000,000 pounds of Ammo.
We had more Navy guys wounded than Army, because the Navy was situated closer to the Ammo Dump.

Bear

Wow, Small world. My neighbor (His name is Mark) responded "What a memory, July 31 1967 to July 31 1968 at Dong Tam" He was a electrician servicing the patrol boats there.

OK—-That was an earlier hit he was there for.
The 500 tons of ammo was hit in March of 1969.
What a night that was!

Tell Mark I said “Welcome Home”.

Bear

OK—-That was an earlier hit he was there for.
The 500 tons of ammo was hit in March of 1969.
What a night that was!

Tell Mark I said “Welcome Home”.

Bear
What you guys got hit twice?! I gotta tell Mark that.

What you guys got hit twice?! I gotta tell Mark that.

LOL—-I was in Dong Tam for 7 months, and we got hit every night, except 5 nights.
However the 500 Tons of Ammo was the biggest hit we took.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky