Aloha from Hawaii

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoker808

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Windward Side Oahu, Hawaii
Aloha All,

My name is Dom born and raised on the Island of Oahu, Hawaii. I was raised living off the land hunting, fishing and spearfishing (Free Dive) smoked meat is pretty much a given with the hunter's here in the island's. We dont have meat processor's here we mostly do it all our own. Majority is wild boar with Axis deer, Mouflon sheep, feral sheep, feral goat and blacktail deer thrown in as well as Marlin and Ahi too.

Most smokers used by hunter's are for the most part home made contraption's LOL! Some extravagant others not so much hahaha.

Really love it here have been lurking and learning and soaking in as much as I can. Although my family has been smoking meat for generations I rather listen and learn as I was taught growing up.

Mahalo Nui Loa for allowing me in to this wonderful place and I hope to make lasting friendships here with all who would accept me as a fellow smoker. I dont know much but I do know I love smoked meats :)

Very, very interested in learning more about cold smoking.

Mahalo Again,

Dom

Welcome Dom. Or should I say ho braddah! Lol I was raised in the islands my self (17 years). The one thing I really miss about it is the food. Lots of good stuff to learn here on the site. Good smoking to ya.

Micah.

welcome1.gif

Aloha Dom.

I lived on Oahu for about 5 years and married my wife there (born and raised). This is a great site with lots of people with amazing experience but, I'd also like to hear your ideas. I miss real Hawaiian food and would love to hear some of your recipes.

Scott

welcome1.gif
 to SMF Dom! [color= rgb(24, 24, 24)]  We are happy you have decided to join us!  You will learn a bunch of stuff here!  Lots of friendly folks too![/color]

Have you signed up for Jeff's E-Course yet?  There is so much useful information on it...here is a link if you haven't to get you pointed in the right direction!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/127/5-day-smoking-basics-ecourse

Here is a link to the cold smoking forum if you want to check that out!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/2163/cold-smoking

If you have any questions ---just Holler! 

Kat

Mahalo All for the very warm welcome!

Sarnott, idea's on smoking or hawaiian food? :)

Kathryn, Yes I did sign up for the 5 day e course thank you very much for the info. on the cold smoking as well.

Aloha,

Dom

I learned a little about about how to pit BBQ/smoke/steam in Hawaii. Hawaii does somethings different and while I learned somethings, I know I have lots more to learn! Some cooking requires hard things to find here (like Ti leaves) but Hawaiians cook some things different than on the mainland I would love to learn more!

Scott

Welcome to SMF Dom and were glad to have you aboard so join in, share your experiences, have some fun and don’t forget to post our favorite………

The Qveiw

aloha and Happy smoking

Joe

Dom,

Both! As I mentioned in my other post, I learned about a little pit BBQ in Hawaii (fire, hot rocks, and wild boar!) but, there is a lot for me to learn about smoking, steaming, and different ways to cook that hold in moisture and control temperature.

Mahalo,

Scott

Aloha boykjo, Mahalo for the welcome and I hope to share as much as possible and looking forward to having lotsa fun :) Not quite familiar with Qview? I dont have photobucket. Is that the only way to post pics here? Sorry if that's a newbie ?

Aloha Scott,  Ahh ok you are talking about Kalua Mmmmm very good stuff LOL! Same hear my grandpa has always taught us the day you think you know everything, Is the day you dont know ****!

His motto was "Always Learning and Always Teaching" that way you perpetuate your way of life.

Caught a sow today so hope to make some smokemeat here soon we'll see when I get the time off work.

Aloha All and Happy Smokin'

Dom

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky