Alelover's Smokehouse Build from Mostly Free Stuff (Maiden Voyage)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Case. Gonna try a chicken tomorrow. Got a Tri-Tip in the freezer for the Super Bowl. Going to make a Santa Clara Tri-Tip.
icon_wink.gif

Last edited:
Getting ready for a chicken and some ABTs. the pan and the racks I had fit perfectly between the dowels. Would love to say I planned it that way, but it was pure luck.

Had these lids from some steamer pans from a lunch at work. Thought they'd make nice heat shield/deflectors.

6 pound chicken with quick SPOG and paprika rub.

A few turds for me. No one else in my family will eat them.

Chicken in the Thin Blue.

Stayed between 230º and 240º all day. Smoking with apple pellets in the A-Maze-N and pecan chunks in the cast iron pan. Smells delightful.

The fan worked well. All the pellets burnt up. About twice as fast as usual though. Only way to keep them going when it's 240º in there. Smoked the chicken for 4 hours and the ABTs for 1 1/2. Didn't use much propane at all.

ABTs came out awesome.

Chicken came out great. Pulled it out when the breasts hit 160º. Let it rest about an hour while I prepared the sides.

Corn shaped corn bread. My daughter found a pan buried somewhere while looking for cookie cutters.

Made a big one too in the cast iron frying pan.

Corn bread cross section.

Chicken was quite juicy. Skin was a little crispy. Not as rubbery as usual.

And some pintos with bacon and onion.

Bon Appetite. Thanks for watching.

Nice build scott......... cant wait to see it in person

You may want to consider getting the AMNTS or the new expando tube from Todd. Todd reocmmends them over the AMNPS for use in gas smokers. I can run them in my gas smoker with temps up to 285°. Above 285° the pellets will ignite and burn instead of smoldering. I have noticed that the expando tube doesn't last as long as the original tubes in the gas smoker when running a hot smoke. Cold smoking they both work the same.

Scott,

Great build! I am new to the forum and starting a similar project out of materials that I have in my shop. Can you post the dimensions including your rack spacing? Also, do you brew your own ale and what's your favorite?

Thanks

first.gif
glad it worked well for you and now practice makes perfect in your learn how to use it. With the new vent do you no longer use the fan?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky