Alder Smoked Novalox

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chuck2u

Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Just had to post this latest fillet as I found a local source for alder wood chips.  Apple wood does a nice job, but I wanted to make it the authentic way just once and was pleased with the results.  The salmon fillet was fresh from Norway at my local Sam's Club for $6.98 a pound.  It weighed just over two pounds.  This is the recipe:

(1) salmon fillet

(1) tablespoon per pound of Morton Tender Quick spread evenly over both sides of fillet

Lemon zest on both sides of fillet

2 oz. of spiced rum poured over one side of fillet

1/4" thick layer of Kosher salt to lay fillet on

1/4" thick layer of Kosher salt over fillet

36 hours in frig

Desalinate in fresh water for one hour

Overnight in frig to form pellicle

1.5 hours in cold smoker <100 deg. F

I've paid way more for Novalox that wasn't even close to my results.

Chuck

Just out of the package

4dbeb348_NewYearLox2.jpg

Just out of the smoker

3346ce65_NewYearLox3.jpg

Ready for the freezer

aa377c25_NewYearLox1.jpg

Reactions: lght
Looks awesome...JJ

This recipe and results look great. I have been reviewing recipes for Gravlax and Cold Smoked Lox and this looks like a winner. I would like to ask why did you use Morton`s Tenderquick? Most recipes for Gravlax do not use this product. I also notice that you do not use any sugar that is also present in most recipes. ThankYou!!!

This recipe and results look great. I have been reviewing recipes for Gravlax and Cold Smoked Lox and this looks like a winner. I would like to ask why did you use Morton`s Tenderquick? Most recipes for Gravlax do not use this product. I also notice that you do not use any sugar that is also present in most recipes. ThankYou!!!
Thank you for the questions!

I use Tender Quick to alleviate any post-desalination contamination concerns during smoking.  The sodium nitrate/nitrite combo in the product will stay with it while in the smoker.  That said, my smoke times are much faster than anything I see in the forum.  I cold smoke for an hour and get all the smoke flavor I want, but then it billows quite profusely and still remains at <90 degrees F.

There is some sugar in the Morton product.  My next lox effort will feature a spritz of liquor on the fillet just before I set it in the frig overnight to form the pellicle.  I have put the rum on during the cure like the recipes say, but don't taste it.  I will use a small spray bottle to evenly coat the fillet.  Spiced rum will be first and then, if those results are to my liking, I'd like to try Grand Marnier or maybe something with lemon.

Chuck

Thank you for the response on the use of the Tenderquick. I see your point and will try it this way for my first atttempt. As for using  liqueurs or spirits for flavoring, I saw a recipe that uses cheesecloth  during the initial curing and you brush Tequila on the cheescloth to moisten it. I have also seen Gin for the Juniper Berry flavor and Caraway flavored liqueur used to add flavor. Your picture of the finished smoked product looks like the exact results I am looking for to have  Lox quality Salmon. Once again thank you for your excellent post!!! 

As a followup to this thread, i cured and smoked some wild salmon with your recipe and method and th results were excellent. I used the AMNPS with Alder Wood dust and I also added fresh dill and lemon zest to the cure. The flavor was perfect with a nice amount of smoke and the dill and lemon gave the Salmon a fresh clean taste. The texture was perfect and the taste of the Salmon was almost buttery rich. I hope all my Smokes turn out this well. Thanks !! mds51

Hi Chuck, is there a reason you did not use just Tenderquick rather then add more kosher salt. I have tried just using it and the texture is excellent. Will smoke tomorrow and see how it tastes. Wish me luck.

Hi Putcz here, Made a mistake on my post. Used Sugar Cure not Tender Quick. That happens when one is doing three things at once.

i have never had  lox before but i am very interested in trying it/making it, with that said  is it still  "raw fish consistency"?, i am assuming it is very rich  since the pics i have seen it is always sliced thin?

how big a fillet should i get to make the first time?

i have never had  lox before but i am very interested in trying it/making it, with that said  is it still  "raw fish consistency"?, i am assuming it is very rich  since the pics i have seen it is always sliced thin?

how big a fillet should i get to make the first time?
Yes and no on the consistency, some can be quite firm. It is very rich and small amounts go a long ways, but I feel that way about salmon anyways. If you're not sure that you'll like it try one or two smaller fillet. I prefer salmon from younger fish, in the 2-4 pound class. When I charter fished we used to always get the smallest of the catch, our customers got the big guys! IF you can get wild fish and not farm fish! I wish I could find some decent priced wild fish here, I'd like to make a batch, but not at the prices I've been seeing. Both the salmon I caught this year we smoked already!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky