2 Chuckies - 2 Different Ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Here is a cook of a couple of Chuck roasts that I did just before Christmas.

Others who had done them recently inspired me.

So I found some on sale for half price and picked a couple of recipes from Jeff's Newsletter Archive.

I picked the Bourbon Smoked Chuck Roast recipe:

And the Smoked Chuck Roast recipe:

I prepared them exactly as the recipes said to, except the Bourbon Marinade had twice the bourbon in it, bottle slipped. :emoji_astonished:
I like to do that the first time as a baseline then on subsequent cooks add a tweak here and there.

Started the REC TEC and up to 225 degrees, puffing TBS
IMG_20191222_072616176.jpg

Here is the Bourbon Smoked Chuck prepped and overnight in the fridge
IMG_20191222_073843896.jpg

And here is his "brother from another mother" the Smoked Chuck
IMG_20191222_073848484.jpg

Here are the brothers on the smoker to ride to an IT around 200.
IMG_20191222_080455739.jpg

And this is after riding for a couple of hours.
IMG_20191222_115551910_HDR.jpg

Here is the Bourbon Smoked Chuck off the smoker and resting:
IMG_20191222_164029558.jpg

Here it is plated on a hoagie roll with shredded mozzarella cheese - Money shot!

IMG_20191222_170449778.jpg

And here is little brother, the smoked chuck:

IMG_20191222_184505964.jpg

Sliced and ready for the fridge for the next nights dinner:
IMG_20191223_172701352.jpg

And plated with fresh mashed potatoes, homemade gravy, and fresh asparagus with shaved Parmesan cheese.
IMG_20191223_180915489.jpg

The Bourbon smoked chuck was definitely the better of the two and will be added to the rotation for sure.

I had an issue with the evil and unruly little brother for some reason, as he refused to get to an IT of 200. We pulled the other one ate dinner and went out in the golf car looking at Christmas lights around the neighborhood and it was only at 195. So I pulled it but skipped the last step, which was to wrap and rest in cooler for 2-3 hours. It was still good but I need to give it another chance on its own cook just to see if I get a different result. I did buy the cuts from the same grocery store chain but different stores, and as we all know no two cuts are the same....

Overall impression is like all of Jeff's recipes we have not found one that we didn't like and you will not be disappointed by these.

Thanks again Jeff!

Thanks for lookin'

John

Those look like carousel pics to me too! Love smoked chuck and those look awesome. Love the pic of the roast on a platter with the colorful veggies.

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Dang John! Those look outstanding. Love the plated shots!

Dave

Thanks Dave!

Those look like carousel pics to me too! Love smoked chuck and those look awesome. Love the pic of the roast on a platter with the colorful veggies.

Thanks jcam222, appreciate the like and comments...

I've got a chuckie sitting in the freezer waiting for my new smoker to arrive......

What kind of smoker?

And when is it arriving?

Two big thumbs up here. Those are some beautiful pieces of meat. Great job.

G

Thanks Riverside for the like and kind response.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky