10-pounds of Homemade Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, that cook/smoke was much longer than anticipated!
After bringing the chub in the smoker to a desired temp of 135°F, I transferred it to my large turkey poacher to finish the cook. Lo & behold...the chub was too big for the poacher! :emoji_confounded:
Oh well, back into the smoker went 'Goliath the Bologna.'
Kicked the smoker temp upwards to 170°F to finish. The big chub finally reached the desired IT (internal temp) of 154°F at...1:00 in the morning—some 13.5 hours in the smoker!
Next, into the ice bath and then wipe down, and then hang in the fridge overnight.

Today, I broke out the heavy, dense bologna log and began slices pieces off one end...
Color looks good; densely colored outer skin (smokey!), uniform texture—slightly coarser than the store-bought emulsified bologna. Texture reminds one of cotto salami or Lebanon bologna. For a smoother, more 'emulsified' velvety bologna texture, I would recommend the food processor approach (small batches at a time with plenty of ice). A few air pockets (holes), which are not totally unexpected, but overall, a very even texture.
first_bologna_slices.jpg

Taste? I'm very pleased with the flavor: Cold, sliced—sweet, smokey, meaty—hint of spice. Reminiscent of a well-made beef frankfurter. FAR and away better mouth-feel than grocery store bolognas.
2nd_bologna_slices.jpg

Fried? MMmmm-mmmm! Tasty! As much as I like a good cold bologna sandwich, frying up this bologna is really where its at! Not greasy; yet salty & sweet with a bit of char. Pass the mustard!
fried_bologna_slices.jpg

Thanks for viewing, guys!
I hope you found this thread at the very least, informative, and maybe it gave some the desire to use the recipe listed here and make a batch for themselves. Just remember, the bigger the chub, the longer the cook time required!

Kevin

Last edited:
Man I could really go for a fried bologna sandwich with mustard right now! What a long haul on the cook but looks like it was well worth it! Awesome end product!

Reactions: couger78
MMMMmmmMMM! Pictures are worth a thousand words. After I have finished salivating, I need to add this to my immediate list to make. The local market has butts on special for 3 days this week for $.97 per pound, what's the I hear? Opportunity knocking!!

I transferred it to my large turkey poacher to finish the cook. Lo & behold...the chub was too big for the poacher! :emoji_confounded:
I laughed out loud at this remembering when I did that for the first (and last) time.
Thanks for the recipe Kevin, I'll definitely give this a try.

Last edited:
  • Haha
What a great thread, thanks for putting in all the effort. Amazing what some do around here as well as taking the time and effort to share with the rest of us. Again very well done and thanks

I was asked the difference if one were to use a food processor (instead of a 3mm fine plate) to achieve a finer, more emulsified bologna texture. There IS a difference in overall texture, appearance and 'feel.' Aside from having or not having a 3mm plate, personal preference plays into deciding which route to take. Both methods will produce good results. :emoji_wink:

two_bolognas.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky