Winter smoking blues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Love Wisconsin but hate that I can't do much smoking at 20 degrees. What else to do but study and plan for the next warm day?

I live in PA, it’s currently 19F. I do a lot of cold smoking this time of the year.

I’ll smoke a lot of cheese, snack sticks and jerky in the colder weather and then store them so they can be enjoyed year round.

As for smoking stuff for a meal. I will usually do pork tenderloin, meatloaf and the occasional reverse-seared steak....all things that don’t require me to open my propane smoker door too much. I also hate the cold, so these smokes are fairly quick and don’t require much babysitting on my part.

Reactions: JC in GB
Lol JC..I still smoke in Winter.

It just takes longer to do, but no reason not to do it. Or like they said, good time to do some cold smoking :)

MES works surprisingly well in winter with no mods right out in the wide open. Chuckie on deck tomorrow and temps in 20s with snow coming. Gonna do my first brisket next weekend.

Looks like I stand corrected. I will have to give freezing temp smoking a try. I got a real hankering for some St. Louis ribs and I am itching to make my own bacon...

Looks like I stand corrected. I will have to give freezing temp smoking a try. I got a real hankering for some St. Louis ribs and I am itching to make my own bacon...

I use a hair dryer to warm the inside of my MES to about 45-50f and then switch it on when it's this cold.

Or cold smoke all the cheese you want ;)

I just moved back to WI after being on the CA coast for the past 20 years, and I haven't slowed down how much I smoke at all - but - (of course there's a but) - im just running the ol cheater pellet smoker 90% of the time right now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky